I’m not old enough to remember the days where we had commercials promoting “doctor recommended cigarettes,” but they actually existed. Big tobacco companies actually paid off real doctors to “recommend” which cigarettes were better than others. Heck, big tobacco even had “scientific research” disproving any notion that smoking caused cancer.
But now we know it was all a bunch of lies. They were paying doctors and scientists to fabricate research and lie to support their ridiculous claim that smoking wasn’t at all unhealthy.
It’s essentially the same thing big oil (and other companies that profit off of non-green means of energy) has done trying to discredit climate change. And being that Republicans are nothing more than shills for big oil, it should come as no surprise that naturally most Republicans deny the reality that human activity on Earth is causing climate change.
And in their denial of climate change, I’ve heard Republicans say utterly ridiculous things. While I’m sure I’ll forget a few, I’ve decided to list some of the most asinine arguments against climate change I’ve personally heard coming from Republicans.
So, in no particular order, here we go:
1) It’s really cold outside: Often uttered by those who seem to not grasp the fact that “global warming” is better suited to be called climate change – meaning that erratic weather patterns (such as freakish blizzards) are a part of that. Also these are often the same people who, when there are record highs (or historic droughts), don’t seem to consider that as evidence. Funny how that works.
2) What’s the big deal if global temperatures go up a few degrees?: That kind of stupidity speaks for itself.
3) Considering more people die from cold than heat, it’s probably good if the planet gets a little warmer: This was honestly an argument made one day by one of the co-hosts on Fox News’ The Five. Seriously, they said this.
4) God controls the weather: Funny how God seems restricted to seasonal changes in our weather based off the orbit of the Earth around the sun.
5) Moving away from oil might cost millions of jobs: You know what also might cost a lot of people their jobs? When the planet isn’t inhabitable any longer. If your excuse for the continued destruction of our planet is that “it might cost jobs,” you’re a special kind of stupid.
6) The only reason why scientists say climate change is real is to make money off their research: Yes, it’s been argued that scientists are actually fabricating research about climate change to continue to fund their “lavish lifestyles.”
7) The Earth is actually getting cooler: Um, no – it’s not. In 2013 we saw our fourth-warmest year on record since they began keeping track in 1880. And he fact is the 10 warmest years on record have all happened since 1998.
8) Wind turbines require oil to function properly, so why even bother with them?: Yes, because wind turbines require some fossil fuels for maintenance purposes that’s exactly like using oil and coal in massive amounts like we do now.
9) Green energy is just too expensive: First, if we invested properly in it the prices would come tumbling down. Second, what good is cheap energy if it ruins our planet to such a point that humans can no longer survive on it?
10) Scientists can’t even predict the weather, let alone climate change: Seriously, I’ve heard this one more than you might think. Obviously from people who don’t understand that a meteorologist isn’t the same as a climate scientist. Also short-term weather isn’t remotely related to global climate trends.
Well, there you have it. Ten of the dumbest arguments I’ve heard Republicans use against climate change. The scary thing is there are plenty more that they use as well – I barely scratched the surface.
Latest posts by Allen Clifton (see all)
- 10 Stats and Facts You Can Use to Educate (or Infuriate) Trumpsters - December 15, 2017
- Sanders Crashes and Burns When Asked Simple Question About Diversity of Trump Administration (Video) - December 14, 2017
- I’d Like to Address Mike Huckabee’s Laughable Insistence that Women Should Admire His Daughter (Video) - December 14, 2017