I was talking to my friend about politics (they don’t follow politics much) and we got on the topic of talking points. Though they were raised in a Republican household, they really aren’t someone I would consider a Republican or a Democrat. But during this discussion, as they presented some of the “arguments” their family members have presented to them, I couldn’t help but notice all they did was regurgitate one right-wing talking point after another. Clearly they picked these lines up from their Republican family members.
That’s when it really hit me that being a Republican essentially means you have to learn a whole new kind of coded language in order to speak about specific topics. Because that’s what these people do. They concoct these talking points as a better means to manipulate people who don’t like to think for themselves into believing in things that don’t make any sense.
So I decided I would make a list of 10 of the dumbest things I often hear Republicans say.
In no particular order, here we go:
1) Tax cuts create jobs: No, they don’t – demand creates jobs.
2) Same-sex marriage ruins the sanctity of marriage: Actually, divorce did that long ago.
3) Homosexual parents will raise homosexuals children: Fun fact, most homosexuals were raised by heterosexuals.
4) The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun: Actually, the best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to try to prevent the bad guy from ever gaining access to a gun – universal background checks would have helped out a lot with doing just that.
5) Referring to rich people as job creators: Just because someone has a lot money, doesn’t mean they create jobs.
6) Drill baby drill!: The phrase uttered by individuals who have no idea how the price of oil is determined or how it’s sold on the global market.
7) Climate change is a hoax: Something said by people who’ve either been brainwashed by “facts” that have been funded by the oil industry (the biggest benefactors behind the destruction of our planet) or religious fanatics that believe climate change is caused by God, not humans.
8) Democrats are the real racists: Can someone remind me which party has politicians who question the legality of the Civil Rights Act, voters who proudly fly the Confederate flag, candidates who practically get no voting support from minority groups and has the backing of many members of the KKK and neo-Nazi’s?
9) Socialized health care doesn’t work: Then can someone explain to me why Medicare is extremely popular with seniors and why every country that leads the world in average life expectancy and infant mortality rate has universal health care?
10) We support our troops: The last time I checked, the Republican party sent over 4,000 American troops to die in Iraq based on a lie and Republicans blocked a veterans bill in Congress. Explain to me again how exactly that’s “supporting our troops”?
Oh man, I could keep going on and on. I might have to make a “Part 2” of this here in the near future. As for now I hope you enjoyed it. Feel free to hit me up on Twitter to share some of the dumbest things you hear Republicans say.