There are many reasons why I oppose Republican policies, but what really boggles my mind is the sheer hypocrisy and absurdity that drives many Republicans. As I’ve written numerous times, these are the people who look upon Ronald Reagan as the epitome of what it means to be a “fiscal conservative” – a man who raised taxes several times; nearly tripled our national deficit in eight years and passed an amnesty bill for illegal immigrants.
But even beyond their delusional worship of a president who wouldn’t be considered a “true conservative” by today’s Republican standards, Republican policies are so laughably hypocritical that it’s astonishing how millions of people buy into their garbage.
So, I thought I’d make a list of some of the rather comical ways Republicans frequently contradict themselves.
1. Pro-life: Yes, the people who love guns, war and the death penalty are also the very same people who claim to be the “pro-life” party.
2. Christianity: A faith based on a man who preached love, hope, giving, acceptance, helping the poor and for society to take care of the sick and needy is used to manipulate millions of people by pushing hate, fear, greed, judgement, intolerance, vilifying the poor and opposing health care for all. In other words, Republicans claim to be the “party of Christian values” – by representing almost none of the values for which Jesus Christ stood.
3. Religious freedom: The people who are the first to throw a fit whenever they feel their “religious rights are being trampled on,” are literally trying to defend “religious freedom” by complaining that they’re no longer being allowed to force their religious views on others. Just let that sink in for a moment.
4. The Second Amendment: While gun fanatics almost always use the part of the Second Amendment that states “shall not be infringed” to defend their belief that gun regulations are unlawful, they ignore the very first part of the Second Amendment that literally starts out by saying “A well regulated militia.” As in, the right to bear arms should be well regulated.
5. Small government: It’s always amazed me how the people who claim to be for “small government” policies are also the same people who want the government to define marriage and be able to tell women what they can or cannot do with their own bodies. These are also many of the same people who support women being forced into highly invasive medical requirements – including transvaginal probes – before being allowed to exercise their Constitutional right to have an abortion.
6. Guns: Despite the fact that we lead the industrialized world in gun violence – and have more guns than any other industrialized nation – Republicans continue to insist that the “solution” to gun violence is… more guns.
7. Gun violence: A perfect example of this came recently. When a Christian terrorist executed a mass shooting at a Planned Parenthood, Republicans did absolutely nothing. Literally, there wasn’t a single mention or push by the GOP to do anything. Yet, when two Muslims performed a mass shooting in California a few days later, that was enough for Republicans to declare that the president hasn’t kept us safe; that terrorists are thriving among us; that an all-out war is necessary against terrorism; and even led to the leading GOP candidate for president pushing for a ban on all Muslims entering the United States. Two shootings – both religiously motivated – and Republicans only reacted to one. Oh, and they blocked legislation that would have kept suspected terrorists from being able to legally buy guns.
8. Fiscal responsibility: There hasn’t been a Republican president who has balanced the budget since the 50’s. So, how exactly are Republicans the party for “fiscal responsibility” when the last three Republican presidents have added trillions to the national debt?
9. The Constitution: Currently, the Affordable Care Act, abortion and same-sex marriage have all been deemed Constitutional – yet these are three Constitutional rights Republicans continually try to violate. In fact, pretty much any time a right they don’t think people should have is deemed “Constitutional” they do just about everything within their power to violate that right.
10. Loving the United States: Conservatives hate:
- The government.
- Any religion other than Christianity.
- Women who want control over their own bodies.
Yet, they claim to love the United States. How can a group of people love a country when they seem to hate its government and most of the people living in it?
Latest posts by Allen Clifton (see all)
- Rick Wilson Excoriates Trump Supporter: ‘Don’t You Dare Talk About Respect’ (Video) - March 17, 2018
- Everything Facebook’s Doing to Combat Fake News is Only Making the Problem Worse - March 16, 2018
- Fox News’ The Five Advocates Committing War Crimes, Denies Waterboarding is Torture (Video) - March 15, 2018