It’s easy for Donald Trump supporters to parrot talking points that have been fed to them, but when you ask these folks to actually defend this nonsense, as I’ve written before, the results can sometimes be rather interesting.
So in the spirit of the raging dumpster fire that is the Trump administration, I thought I’d list 10 questions I think his supporters lack the cojones to answer truthfully.
1. Will you admit that when he got you all to chant “Lock her up!” by saying he was going to prosecute Clinton (even though immediately after the election he said he’s not going to), said he was going to make Mexico pay for the wall that he clearly has no way to make them pay for, and claimed the jobs reports he now tries to take credit for were “fake” or “phony” — he was blatantly lying to all of you?
2. How many Russian ties to his administration and campaign, and people caught lying about meetings with Russian officials, would it take before you at least entertain the idea that these might not simply be a bunch of “coincidences”?
3. If Russia didn’t help him get “elected” by launching a cyber attack against the DNC and Hillary Clinton’s campaign, then why did Trump frequently cite the information that was stolen to attack her before the election? Are you saying Trump brought up this information multiple times every day during interviews and campaign rallies for no reason at all?
4. Does it not concern you that he claims millions of people voted illegally, yet he’s not doing anything about it and has yet to provide any evidence that this took place? If what Trump says is true, that millions of people voted illegally, are you okay with the President of the United States completely ignoring what would be one of the biggest scandals in our nation’s history?
5. Since the Senate Intelligence Committee, Speaker of the House Paul Ryan, practically every member of Congress, the FBI, CIA, NSA, and even British intelligence have all said that there’s absolutely no evidence that President Obama had Trump Tower wiretapped — yet Trump continues to insist, without proof, that it happened — doesn’t that prove he’s either legitimately insane or continuing to lie because he’s too immature to simply admit that he was wrong?
6. Speaking of his wiretapping conspiracy, considering he insists the New York Times is “FAKE NEWS!,” then why did he cite their article as his “source” that led to his Twitter meltdown on March 4th? Considering he has a history of being more than willing to use sources he often says push “FAKE NEWS” whenever they happen report on something that benefits him, doesn’t that kind of prove that he uses “FAKE NEWS,” not to expose news that’s legitimately fake, but to attack information he doesn’t want people believing? Otherwise, why would he find a report from the NYT credible enough to accuse Barack Obama of one of the most serious crimes in our political history if he thinks that newspaper is “FAKE”?
7. If you want to support Trump that’s one thing, but is it really too much to ask of you all to require him to provide evidence for many of the outrageous things he says for which he never provides any proof? If he’s as honest as he claims he is, and you all think he is, then there should be mounds of evidence to prove everything he says is true. So why don’t you all at least demand to see it — or are you all afraid to ask him for proof because you’re afraid he won’t be able to provide any?
8. If Donald Trump has nothing to hide in his tax returns, then why won’t he release them? Regardless of whether or not you think they’re important, if he has nothing to hide, then why not release them and silence critics who claim he does? Not only that, if he has nothing to hide, then why did he claim being audited prevented him from releasing his taxes even though the IRS said that does not prevent him from being able to make these documents public? Do you find it’s common for people with nothing to hide to refuse to show something to prove their “innocence” — then lie about why they won’t show that proof?
9. Can you cite a single instance where Donald Trump genuinely admitted he was wrong about something?
10. Be honest, had he not been caught on video bragging about grabbing women “by the p–sy,” but Billy Bush or someone who was there that day came out and said he made these statements, do you think Trump would have admitted he made those comments or would he have accused them of being liars and the media of pushing “FAKE NEWS”? And if you don’t think he would have confessed to saying such things without the video evidence, aren’t you admitting that he’s someone who’ll lie and slander people who tell the truth about him just as long as he feels he can get away with doing so?
I’m sure there will be a few Trump supporters who try to answer these questions, but their answers are going to be so incredibly ridiculous (likely pivoting to a talking point they’ve been fed) that they’re not actually going to qualify as serious. I hope I’m proven wrong.