While I wouldn’t say I’m someone who’s flawless enough to never judge other people (we all do), I do my best to stick to a rule that as long as someone else’s life, views or beliefs aren’t being forced upon me, I don’t really care much about what they do. This is a trait many Republicans lack. In many of their minds, preventing them from being able to force their views on others is somehow “infringing upon their rights.”
Though as most of us know, while equality for members of the LGBT community has come a long way, we still have a long way to go. Especially when it comes to those who are transgender.
So, in my quest to understand why there’s such hostility by some toward transgender people (and especially their bathroom habits), I thought I’d list a few questions I’d like these bigots to answer.
1. Can you list a single instance where someone else being transgender has directly and negatively impacted your life (outside of simply disagreeing with who they are)?
2. You do realize that just because someone is transgender that doesn’t make them a sexual predator, right?
3. To go along with #2, you also realize that just because someone is transgender, that doesn’t instantly make them attracted to children, right?
4. What sort of weird sexual world do you live in where there are so many people you apparently know who would love to watch someone they’re sexually attracted to use the restroom?
5. Are there not doors on the stalls where you typically use the restroom? And if there are, do you frequently try to peek in on what people are doing inside? If so, do people never notice that’s creepy as hell?
6. Is your life so devoid of anything important that you really need to worry about what other people are doing?
7. Since you’re so worried about the safety of your kid(s), tell me, which poses a bigger risk: Guns that kill hundreds (if not thousands) of children every single year, or someone who pees in the same public restroom as they do while you’re with them?
8. Speaking of which, children can’t typically hop in the family vehicle and head out on the town on their own, so how, exactly, are your children possibly being “exposed” to sexual predators in bathrooms? You do realize that most child molesters aren’t transgender, right?
9. Can you actually name any real pattern of instances where people have pretended to be transgender to gain access to a male or female bathroom?
10. Why do you really care? Seriously, like I asked in #1, how has anyone being transgender actually impacted your life? And if you really can’t name any instance (aside from you simply disagreeing with it in general), then isn’t your seeming obsession about these individuals more a product of your own mental issues – not theirs?
Alright folks, there you have them.