I’m going to assume that at one time or another, most people reading this have engaged in some sort of debate with a Trump supporter. So then I also feel it’s safe to assume that most people reading this realize how futile that venture usually turns out to be. It’s impossible, and completely pointless, to try to reason with people who aren’t reasonable.
That said, I still encourage people to engage with Trump supporters from time to time. Even if it’s just to find out what new “tactics” they might be using to defend his latest scandal, I think it’s a mistake to completely avoid debating these folks.
What I like to do once in a while is kind of “troll them.” Not like some people like to do on the Internet just to say things to get a rise out of people, but to use factual information I definitely know they won’t like hearing to showcase how terrible Trump is and how embarrassed they should be to support him.
So I thought I’d put together a list of 10 stats and facts people can use to factually “troll” Trump supporters.
1. While the jobs numbers for 2017 have mostly been positive, despite Trump’s claims that the economy is doing much better since he took office, jobs numbers for this “president’s” first year in office lag behind what we saw at the end of Barack Obama’s presidency. In other words, we’re on pace to create fewer jobs in 2017 under Trump than we did in 2016 under Obama.
2. Yes, Donald Trump is obviously very popular on Twitter with 44.7 million followers as of writing this. But guess who’s even more popular? Barack Obama with 97.9 million — nearly double the number of followers as Trump.
3. Trump’s approval rating is historically low for a “president” at this point in their “presidency,” constantly hovering between the low 30s and low 40s in most polls. Incredibly low marks that are almost unprecedented considering they come during a time of strong economic growth — normally a time during a presidency where most presidents enjoy extremely high approval numbers.
4. Speaking of approval ratings, in the most recent Rasmussen Reports and Fox News polls, two typically right-leaning polling places, as of writing this, Trump’s approval currently sits at 41 and 38 percent respectively — compared to the last numbers tabulated by both at the end of Obama’s presidency of 62 and 57 percent for our 44th president.
5. Since being sworn into office, confidence in the U.S. president and views of the country as a whole have plummeted internationally from where they were at the end of Obama’s time in office. In fact, of the 37 nations polled, only Israel and Russia had a more positive view of Trump than Obama.
6. Just a friendly reminder that Barack Obama’s inauguration crowd in 2009 was, in fact, much larger than Donald Trump’s 2017 crowd.
7. Oh, and despite Trump’s claims of “massive voter fraud,” which is pure b.s., he did lose the popular vote to Hillary Clinton by nearly 3 million votes with 54 percent of the country voting against him in one way or another, cementing his place as one of the biggest losers to ever be elected “president” in United States history.
9. Despite Trump’s constant whining about “fake news” being pushed against him, he was actually a huge beneficiary of it as Russia created a plethora of fake news, social media accounts, Facebook ads, and websites in a “false amplifier” propaganda effort to help his campaign while hurting his political opponent, Hillary Clinton. It’s the truth that Trump doesn’t want people believing about him that he has such a problem with.
10. Trump has almost nothing to do with the current strong state of the economy. Sure, he’s signed a few deregulations, but most of them are for show rather than having an actual significant impact. The truth is, as I pointed out with the jobs numbers, what we’re seeing now is really nothing more than a continuation of the strong economic growth that began early into Obama’s presidency. The same economy (and economic data) Trump trashed and said wasn’t real — that he now brags about constantly.
So, there you have it folks, a short list of a few facts that will probably infuriate Donald Trump and his supporters. While I’m sure these won’t have any sort of an impact on changing the minds of any of these proud Trumpsters, it’s still interesting to watch their reactions when you present them with factual information they definitely don’t want to hear.
Latest posts by Allen Clifton (see all)
- To Those Blaming Democrats for the Government Shutdown: You’re Out of Your Damn Minds - January 21, 2018
- Not a Joke: GOP Rep. Tries to Blame Government Shutdown on Barack Obama (Video) - January 21, 2018
- 5 Things the Government Shutdown Proves About Donald Trump and the Republican Party - January 21, 2018