During a presidential election year it’s easy to get caught up in all the hype, bickering and emotion involved in “rooting for your candidate.” Too often I see people treat a presidential race like it’s some sort of sporting event where they’re cheering for their favorite team — with all the irrationality and absurd behavior that’s not uncommon from so-called “fanatics.”
Unfortunately, what this “I want my candidate to win” sports-like mentally often does is take people’s focus off the actual repercussions that come after the election.
The 2000 election is a classic case of this where too many on the left focused too much on Al Gore’s flaws instead of truly realizing how disastrous the alternative would be for the country.
Well, we’re seeing a similar thing happen this year with far too many on the left obsessing over Hillary Clinton’s imperfections (often to delusional and obscene levels) instead of truly understanding what happens if Donald Trump and the Republican party get their way on November 8th.
So, to put into perspective what the world will start to look like after Election Day if Trump wins the White House and Republicans keep power in the Senate, I thought I’d run down 10 things that will definitely happen if we don’t stop them on Tuesday.
1. Conservatives will get a super majority on the Supreme Court: We already know one Supreme Court opening is up for grabs this November. Well, up to three more might be opening up over the next 4-8 years. Most notably, the liberal Justices Ruth Bader Ginsburg who’s 83 and Stephen Breyer who’s 77. Then there’s fairly moderate conservative Justice Anthony Kennedy who’s 79. So, unless these three are serving until their mid to late 80’s, at least a couple are probably going to be replaced… very soon. Two who represent half of the liberal Justices on the Court.
What do you think the Court looks like with a Republican potentially selecting 3-4 justices? Say goodbye to gay rights, voting rights, women’s rights and any possible dream of ever getting money out of politics. The next president may very well determine the fate of the Supreme Court for an entire generation. If Donald Trump becomes president, we’re likely looking at a Court with 3-4 new “Antonin Scalia-type” Justices being put in place for the next 20-30 years.
2. Say goodbye to health care: It took us decades to get the modest health care reform known as the Affordable Care Act. All that work will be long gone if a Republican becomes president. Almost instantly, millions of Americans would lose their health insurance (most of whom are poor) and those with pre-existing conditions would go back to living a life where they could be denied coverage based on something with which they were born.
3. We’ll set combating climate change back decades: Even with the advancements we’ve made, we’re already years (if not decades) behind where we need to be as it relates to battling climate change. Now, is Clinton as “green” as some on the left would like her to be? Not yet on some issues, but that doesn’t mean we can’t get her there. The fact is, at least she believes in climate change, unlike her opponent who thinks it’s a hoax invented by the Chinese.
If Trump wins, not only will absolutely nothing get accomplished as it relates to stepping up our effort to prevent the planet from becoming uninhabitable, but he’ll undo nearly all the progress we have made. That means we won’t only be setting ourselves back 4-8 years – we’ll be setting ourselves back decades. Considering the dire issue of climate change at this moment, that would pretty much screw the planet beyond repair.
4. It’s very likely abortion becomes illegal: This ties in with #1, but deserves its own category. If Trump is allowed to replace even 2-3 Supreme Court Justices, that’s probably the end of the line for abortion rights. I don’t think people in this country realize how fragile abortion rights are. All it takes is a court stacked with enough Justices to undo Roe v. Wade, or declare that “life begins at conception and therefore has rights,” and abortion becomes illegal.
5. They could very well destroy Social Security and Medicare: Both programs are in crucial situations where something needs to be done to fix them — soon. Well, Republicans have been very clear about their intentions to do just about everything they can to make both “private,” which is really just the first step they need to completely get rid of both altogether.
If Trump wins, it’s very possible that’s all the GOP would need to gut and destroy these programs like they’ve been trying to do for years.
6. Net neutrality is likely dead: Remember when big business was trying to install a “fast lane” for the Internet? Well, thankfully, the Obama administration put an end to that – sort of. Donald Trump as president could very well undo these protections for fair access to the Internet, allowing the free flow of information to be severely hampered, limited and restricted unless companies pay these Internet providers what essentially equates to “ransoms” for full-speed access. In other words, if you’re paying for 50 mbps speeds, you might not get those speeds to some of your favorite sites that refuse to pay the fees being charged by corporations like AT&T, Time Warner or Comcast. This would be a nightmare for consumers and would essentially kill the Internet as we know it.
7. Discrimination will become legal: As most are aware, Republicans all over the country have been trying to legalize discrimination against the LGBT community under the guise of “religious freedom” laws. Well, if they get their way on November 8th, we’re going to see a nation-wide push for these very types of laws. Then, since they’ll be able to stack the Supreme Court, these bigoted laws will be upheld as “Constitutional” since conservatives will have the Court they need to support their anti-LGBT hatred.
8. They’re going to make terrorism much worse: Donald Trump is exactly the person terrorist organizations want in charge of the United States. Terrorists are literally using him in recruitment propaganda. If this country elects Trump, we’re effectively giving terrorists the exact type of “leader” they want to help them grow in strength and power.
9. Voting rights will be set back decades: This also goes along with the Supreme Court, because they’ll have the judicial power to strip away even more of the Voting Rights Act. A Trump presidency combined with GOP control of Congress will empower Republicans to pass legislation that will blatantly disenfranchise voters (especially minorities), making it all but impossible for anyone but Republicans to win many of our elections.
Want to talk about “rigging elections”? It’s Republicans who’ve already been trying to do it for years.
10. We will empower white supremacists to levels not seen in decades: Without a doubt, Trump’s campaign has inspired and energized white nationalism in this country to an extent we haven’t seen in over a half a century. His victory would be a clear signal to these bottom-feeding creatures that their beliefs are what “America wants,” which will empower them to be more brazen with their hate, racism, ignorance and bigotry.
This election isn’t just a battle for the White House, it really is a battle between those who oppose racism, bigotry and hate vs. those who embrace all of that.
While there’s plenty more I could list here, if this list doesn’t terrify people enough to realize how bad things are going to be for this country if Donald Trump and Republicans get their way on Tuesday, then I don’t know what will.
People need to realize that this election is about much more than just Hillary Clinton vs. Donald Trump. The power in Congress is on the line, the lives and rights of millions of Americans, and the very soul of this nation for an entire generation will be determined Tuesday.
Latest posts by Allen Clifton (see all)
- Rick Wilson Excoriates Trump Supporter: ‘Don’t You Dare Talk About Respect’ (Video) - March 17, 2018
- Everything Facebook’s Doing to Combat Fake News is Only Making the Problem Worse - March 16, 2018
- Fox News’ The Five Advocates Committing War Crimes, Denies Waterboarding is Torture (Video) - March 15, 2018