Ah, the big day is upon us – the second Republican presidential debate. While the first one wasn’t quite as outrageous as I had expected (or hoped), I have a feeling tonight is going to go much differently. I think most candidates believed going into the first debate the Trump would do himself in. While he did say some rather idiotic things, his popularity since that Fox News debate has only continued to rise. So I’m fully expecting these other candidates to aggressively go after Trump this evening.
So, being in “the spirit” of gearing up for tonight’s debate, I thought I’d list 10 things I fully expect to see later on this evening.
1. Chris Christie is going to try to “out arrogant” Trump: I fully expect Christie to be loud, abrasive and confrontational throughout the evening. With a campaign that’s essentially on life support, he has to try to make his mark during this debate or it’s pretty much over for him.
2. Carly Fiorina is going to come off strong – while being completely full of crap: While she’s not a politician, she would have made a very good one. She’s very well-spoken, composed and intelligent. But she’s also nothing more than a well-prepared talking points robot who’s just going to regurgitate line after line of pre-rehearsed attacks against Trump and Hillary Clinton.
3. Rand Paul is going to prove again that he’s a one-trick pony: At this point, I almost feel sad for Paul. The last debate he just came off looking ridiculous. Does he bring up some solid points about the NSA? Sure. But that’s essentially the only thing on which he’s trying to build his campaign.
4. Ted Cruz is going to be Ted Cruz: To say Cruz is full of crap is a vast understatement. Nearly everything out of his mouth is complete bullsh*t. His shtick is so worn out that you could play just about any speech he’s given over the last 2+ years and that’s pretty much what you can expect to hear tonight.
5. Ben Carson is going to once again prove that it’s possible to be both brilliant and an idiot at the same time: Carson’s rise in the polls has befuddled me quite a bit. I really just don’t get it. He has absolutely no qualifications to be president and doesn’t even seem to really grasp what the job entails. The only rational explanation for his popularity that I’ve been able to come up with is that he just comes off like someone who doesn’t give a damn. While he and Trump are two completely different individuals, they both do share a common trait in that I really don’t think either of them gives a damn what anyone thinks about what they have to say. That seems to be a big selling point to Republican voters this election.
6. Mike Huckabee is going to try to act like he’s Jesus: I’m absolutely sick and tired of this jackass. It’s so blatantly obvious that he’s exploiting religion for his own personal gains. It’s just sad millions of conservatives continue to fall for this con man. Oh, and look for him to go out of his way to mention Kim Davis and her idiocy as much as possible.
7. Bobby Jindal, Rick Santorum, George Pataki and Lindsey Graham are going to try to act like people care what they have to say: Let’s be honest, if you can’t even make it to the “main stage” in this crowd of clowns – you have no business running for president. It’s a sad state of affairs when I look at that list of four gentlemen and Lindsey Graham is the most “sane” one of the bunch. Though I do look forward to Jindal trying to explain why he would make a good president when, under his “leadership,” Louisiana has been an absolute dumpster fire. Then again, he’ll probably just blame Planned Parenthood for all of his failures.
8. Scott Walker is going to start union-bashing, and no one is going to care: Remember when “political experts” were saying Walker was the biggest threat to Jeb Bush? Yeah, that was a fun week. Walker’s campaign is all but dead. Pretty much what I predicted would happen, has happened. The more people got to know Walker, the more they realized what an absolute idiot he is.
9. Jeb Bush is desperately going to try to attack Donald Trump – and lose: Let’s be honest, most people still feel that when the dust settles Jeb is going to be the Republican nominee for president. But the truth of the matter is, he’s ill-equipped to handle a challenger like Trump. While Jeb is a decent speaker, and he’s not too unlikable of a guy during non-combative interviews, he’s horrible at having to think on his feet when he’s flustered. If he does indeed try to go toe-to-toe with Trump, he’s going to get slaughtered.
10. Donald Trump is finally going to push things too far: While I might be wrong, I think tonight’s the night when Trump ends up saying something that ultimately costs him some of his momentum. Being that I believe he’s going to be targeted by most of these other candidates throughout the entire evening, I think that’s going to put him on a hyper-level of defensiveness that’s going to backfire. I’ve maintained from the beginning that it’s not a matter of if Trump implodes, but when. I think tonight could be that night.
Now I know I didn’t mention Marco Rubio, Jim Gilmore or John Kasich. Mostly because I don’t expect Rubio to do anything more than “play it safe,” which is basically what he’s done his entire campaign. Meanwhile, Jim Gilmore didn’t even qualify to make it into the preliminary debate. Poor guy.
As far as Kasich, I actually feel he might be the person who benefits the most from this evening’s debate. While he’s very much a Republican, during the last debate he actually showed some sanity and common sense on issues such as gay marriage and Medicaid expansion.
Unfortunately, sanity and common sense aren’t traits valued by many Republican voters.
If you don’t already follow me on Twitter, you should consider doing so. Tonight I’ll be live tweeting throughout the debate and offering my own commentary concerning the foolishness that I’m sure is going to transpire.
Latest posts by Allen Clifton (see all)
- Dear Donald Trump: It’s Absolutely None of Your Damn Business What the NFL Does - October 19, 2017
- Bill O’Reilly Tries Trolling Jake Tapper On Twitter, Gets Crushed by the CNN Host - October 19, 2017
- Here’s an Appalling List of All the Times Trump’s Disrespected Our Military and Veterans - October 18, 2017