Former Secretary of Labor Robert Reich is one of the more well-respected members of the progressive community. While I don’t always agree with him, I know he’s an intelligent individual who puts a lot of thought behind everything he says. He’s not someone who lashes out on irrational, emotionally-driven outbursts — like some people.
So when I saw a list he put together regarding what he learned speaking with European leaders ahead of Donald Trump’s arrival, I figured it would be worth checking out.
And, wow — it’s rather terrifying.
Here’s what he posted on his website, RobertReich.org:
Here, in summary, are the most frequent remarks I heard from them, and from others in my travels, in rough order of frequency:
1. Trump is unstable, and we’re not going to count on anything he says or commits to.
2. Trump doesn’t support NATO or European integration.
3. Trump is actively encouraging racist nationalists in our country.
4. Trump is allied with Putin to bring Europe down.
5. There’s no doubt Trump worked with Putin to win the U.S. presidential election.
6. If Trump’s polls drop too low, he’ll start a war in order to get Americans to rally around him. (Opinions varied on whether Trump’s war would be with North Korea, Iran, terrorists in Nigeria, or an escalation in Syria, Iraq, or Afghanistan.)
7. How did you Americans come to elect this ego-maniac? (Others called him an infant, moron, ignoramus, fool.)
8. He’s another Berlusconi (or Franco, Mussolini, Salazar, Hitler).
9. We remember fascism. We never thought it would happen in America.
10. The world depends on American leadership. We’re very worried.
He also went on to say he feels the anti-Trump sentiment is stronger in Europe than here in the United States.
Reich’s list goes along well with a recent report that alleged world leaders were getting ready for Trump’s first international tour much in the same way they might prepare for a spoiled, petulant child with a short attention span coming to visit.
This is what I’ve been saying for a while now about Trump. Our allies don’t trust us, our enemies don’t fear us, and every day he’s in office he represents this country’s top national security threat.
These other foreign heads of state know he’s an easily manipulated imbecile who has no idea what he’s doing. All they have to do is feed his ego, don’t question anything he says, and they’ll likely to get through their visit without him rushing to Twitter to have one of his infamous meltdowns.
It’s clear these European leaders are worried about what Trump’s unhinged incompetence may ultimately cause. Like many Americans, not only do they believe he’s colluding with, and compromised by, Russia, but that he’s not above starting some kind of war if his poll numbers sink too low.
This is what Trump supporters either don’t get or simply choose not to believe. Just because they refuse to believe the facts about how terrible and dangerous he is, or continue to believe that legitimate news is “FAKE!,” that doesn’t change reality concerning how awful he is and what other world leaders think of him.
The sad reality is that one of the most powerful people on the planet also happens to be one of the most incompetent, dangerous, and unhinged people living on it.
Latest posts by Allen Clifton (see all)
- To Those Blaming Democrats for the Government Shutdown: You’re Out of Your Damn Minds - January 21, 2018
- Not a Joke: GOP Rep. Tries to Blame Government Shutdown on Barack Obama (Video) - January 21, 2018
- 5 Things the Government Shutdown Proves About Donald Trump and the Republican Party - January 21, 2018