There’s not a day that goes by where I don’t see some conservative going on and on about how the Republican party is the party of “good Christian values” and everyone else (specifically liberals) is waging some kind of war on religion.
It’s just ludicrous. The fact is most liberals couldn’t care less what religion anyone follows. The problem is when some people, specifically conservatives, try to force that religion on others.
But here’s the thing, most of these conservatives aren’t really Christians. Going to church doesn’t make someone a Christian. Heck, following the Bible doesn’t even really make someone a Christian. Christianity is based on a belief in Jesus Christ and one’s attempt to live their life based on the values for which he lived.
And I don’t see much of any of that within conservative ideology. So I decided to make a list of 10 ways I don’t believe conservatives act anything like Christians.
1) Homosexuality: It’s amazing how many conservatives seem to base their devotion to their faith on how strong their opposition is to homosexuality. But here’s a fun fact: Jesus Christ never once spoke out against homosexuality.
2) Helping the poor: I’m not quite sure how you call yourself a “Christian” while supporting a political party that vilifies poor people as lazy moochers seeking a handout.
3) They love greed: Isn’t the entire premise of trickle-down economics and unregulated capitalism based on greed? They seem to have no problem chastising a poor family on welfare but they consider anyone “un-American” who dares to call a wealthy person a greedy bastard. And for the record, Jesus Christ did speak out against greed. In fact, he warned against it.
4) They’re full of hate: Have you ever been to a tea party rally? I have. I’ve never seen such vile hatred in my life. Just look at the way these people talk about President Obama. There’s a difference between opposing someone’s policies and just perpetuating blinding hate toward another human being. I’ve often joked that they hate President Obama to such an extent that if he cured cancer they’d say he was waging a war on oncologists.
5) Racism: Am I saying all conservatives are racist? Of course not. But I don’t think there’s a coincidence that practically every state that’s currently “strongly Republican” also fought with the Confederacy, opposed desegregation and stood against the Civil Rights Act. And I can’t imagine Jesus Christ endorsing racism.
6) Pro-life hypocrisy: These people will defend the “rights” of a fetus until they’re blue in the face. Yet how many millions of children (you know, what fetuses turn into), and poor people in general, now have less to eat thanks to the Republican insistence on cutting funding for welfare programs – just before the holidays no less. And I’m not sure how you’re “pro-life” while bragging about how many people your state executes every year.
7) Their obsession with guns: You know how “off” mentally you need to be to really believe Jesus Christ would support semi-automatic rifles? But many of these people honestly believe that Jesus Christ would be standing right there next to them with a loaded AR-15 strapped to his back. It’s asinine.
8) They’re intolerant: Conservatives like to perpetuate this idea that it’s actually liberals who are intolerant of other people. You know when liberals get intolerant? When we’re dealing with intolerant people. Look, I don’t care if you oppose homosexuality, abortion or other religions – that’s your choice. But don’t try to restrict the rights of others, or force your views on others, then whine because people eventually get tired of putting up with your crap. Real Christianity preaches acceptance and tolerance of others. That we’re all humans. That we should treat each other with respect and kindness. You know the whole “love thy neighbor” thing.
9) They’re paranoid and afraid: As Christians, aren’t these people supposed to have faith? Didn’t Jesus preach positivity and hope? Then what the hell are so many of them afraid of? These people live in a perpetual state of fear and paranoia. They fear brown people, other religions, the government, liberals, homosexuals – pretty much anything that’s not a heterosexual, white conservative Christian. I’m not quite sure how someone can say they have “faith in God,” while being paranoid and afraid of damn near everything.
10) They base their faith on church attendance: I love these “Christians” who seem to think church attendance makes them a better Christian. I used to work as a server across the highway from two of the biggest mega churches in my city. Can you guess which was the least desired, and worst, shift of the week to work? Sunday morning. The “church crowd.” That was the shift where people were the least patient, rudest, cheapest and complained the most. In my 8+ years in the service industry I lost count of how many times I had notes left on the table that said things like:
- I gave your tip to Jesus.
- I tip Jesus 10%, why do you deserve more?
- Full pamphlets telling me why I’m going to hell.
- That I should have been at church instead of working.
This is the thing about church – it’s worthless if you walk out of it acting like a prick. You can go to church 7 days a week, but your actions outside of church are what matter most. And that’s where most of these “church attendance” conservative Christians fail miserably. They essentially go to church because they’re told they’re supposed to, and to try to justify to themselves that they’re “good people.” I’ve met plenty of terrible human beings who went to church multiple times every single week. If you walk out of church full of hate and judgement, whatever they’re preaching inside that building sure as hell isn’t Christianity.
I could probably keep going but this has been long enough, so I’ll cut if off there. Hit me up on Twitter and let me know what you think.