I’ve reached a point with the 2016 election where I simply can’t take anyone who tries to defend Donald Trump seriously. Not that I really have, but the Republican presidential candidate’s rhetoric has become so cartoonish that I often feel as if he’s trying to prove to himself that he can say and do practically anything and Republicans will support him.
However, while I absolutely despise the man, I will say Trump has been a fantastic individual for proving that liberals have been right about Republicans and their voters all along.
In fact, let’s run through 10 talking points progressives have been saying for decades about Republican voters that Donald Trump has indisputably proven are true.
1. They don’t care about the truth, they just want to be told what they want to hear: Listen, all politicians lie. I’m not denying that. However, Trump doesn’t “lie” as much as he simply concocts his own version of reality. Most political lies are at least based on a reality that was then cherry picked or twisted into something else, but many of Trump’s lies aren’t based on even a shred of truth.
2. Many of them are bigots and racists: Donald Trump has unquestionably made racists and bigots more comfortable about being who they really are publicly. Former grand wizard of the KKK, David Duke, is going to run for the United States Senate because Trump’s success has inspired him to do so. In fact, the more Trump vilifies minorities, the more most Republican voters rally around him.
3. There really isn’t anyone the GOP won’t support: Donald Trump is such a vile candidate that his own party has had to constantly denounce things he’s said or done over the past year. Yet, even though party leaders have condemned many things he’s said and done throughout his campaign — they still think he should be our next president. Who cares if he’s vilified Mexicans, painted all of Islam as the enemy, or mocked war veterans — they still support him as our next Commander in Chief.
4. Their claim of being “conservative” is an absolute fraud: Not only is Donald Trump not remotely “conservative” based on any traditional definition of the term, but his economic policies would add $10 trillion to the national debt. You can’t call yourself a “conservative Republican” while supporting Trump.
5. The party is driven by hate, fear, paranoia and conspiracy theories: Donald Trump is essentially the living embodiment of what the comment section of a right-wing blog would look like if it could run for president. Trump has become incredibly successful by pandering to some of the lowest-rungs of our society for support. Now he’s already building the foundation for his “the election was rigged” conspiracy he’ll undoubtedly use as an excuse if he loses this November. His rhetoric has reached such a point of ridiculousness it’s really unbelievable that millions of people take him seriously.
6. The GOP is largely supported by the uneducated: While not all Republicans are uneducated (nor does having an education necessarily mean you’re intelligent), it’s undeniable that one of the main reasons why Trump has managed to be so successful is that he overwhelmingly wins voters with a high school education or lower. Poll after poll shows that the more educated someone is, the less likely they are to support Donald Trump.
7. Republicans are not the party of “Christian values”: Not only is Trump an adulterer who’s been divorced twice and married three times, but there’s almost nothing “Christ-like” about the man. Of all the Republican candidates who ran for president this year, he was the least Christian — yet won in a landslide. If the GOP were truly the party of “Christian values,” there’s no way Trump becomes the party’s nominee.
8. They’re absolute hypocrites: Can you imagine what Republicans would be saying if President Obama or Hillary Clinton:
- Had five children from three different spouses.
- Said POWs weren’t American war heroes.
- Claimed a judge couldn’t ethically do their job because that judge was white and/or male.
- Skipped a presidential debate because they couldn’t get a moderator removed.
- Disrespected the family of a solider who died defending this country.
- Refused to release their tax returns.
They would be losing their minds. Yet, Donald Trump has done all of that (plus much… much more) yet they seem perfectly fine with all of it.
9. The GOP is no longer the “party of Lincoln” and hasn’t been for decades: While Abraham Lincoln was a Republican, the GOP was a much different party back then. What was once a party that stood against slavery now has as its presidential candidate someone who shares memes created by white supremacists depicting African-Americans as blood-thirsty murderers based on completely made up statistics meant to slander an entire race.
10. Their “respect” for our veterans is completely fake: This is the big one to me. Ignoring all the racism, bigotry, ignorance and idiocy that’s emanated from Donald Trump since he launched his campaign, he has now blatantly disrespected war heroes twice. There’s absolutely no way you can say you’re someone who admires and respects the sacrifices our veterans and military families make for this country while supporting Donald Trump.
I could keep going, but I think I’ve proven my point.