One of the biggest talking points Republicans like to use as it relates to the Keystone XL pipeline (aside from their lies about jobs) is that the American people overwhelmingly support this project and want to see it built.
To be fair, that’s pretty much true. About 65 percent of Americans surveyed said they support the building of the pipeline.
The problem with this number is that many people incorrectly believe that this pipeline will create thousands of permanent jobs. The reality is that when all is said and done, the Keystone XL pipeline will only leave the United States with about 50 permanent jobs. One has to wonder how much lower the approval for the pipeline would be had Republicans not spent the last few years blatantly lying to the American people with big oil at their backs funding this propaganda.
But either way, just looking at this 65 percent at face value, Speaker of the House John Boehner has said that this pipeline should be approved because the American people overwhelmingly support it.
In fact, Boehner said (before it recently failed to pass the Senate) that if President Obama vetoed the Keystone XL pipeline bill it would be tantamount to calling the American people stupid.
“Let’s be clear about this. A Keystone pipeline veto would send the signal that this president has no interest in listening to the American people,” Boehner said. “Vetoing an overwhelmingly popular bill would be a clear indication that he doesn’t care about the American people’s priorities. It would be equivalent of calling the American people stupid.”
Really? That’s the stance he wants to take on whether or not a bill should be passed?
Well, then let’s take a look at three things Republicans have continuously blocked, that Americans support far more than the Keystone XL pipeline.
1. Immigration reform: 87 percent of Americans support passing immigration reform. Not only that, but the Senate passed a bipartisan immigration bill about 18 months ago that Boehner wouldn’t even let the House vote on.
2. Universal background checks on all gun purchases: 91 percent of Americans support expanding universal background checks on all gun purchases.
3. Raising the minimum wage: 76 percent of Americans support raising the minimum wage. Not only that, but 69 percent of Americans also support linking hikes in the minimum wage to go along with the rate of inflation.
Hell, and when it comes to immigration reform Republicans are gearing up to try to impeach the president because he’s listening to the American people about what they want done on immigration.
John Boehner really needs to spare us all from his sanctimonious bullcrap. If he and his fellow Republicans were actually listening to the American people, we would have raised the minimum wage, passed universal background checks and have comprehensive immigration reform already in place.
And despite the overwhelming support each of these issues has from the American people, none of them have gotten anywhere in Congress because Republicans refuse to listen to the American people.
But let’s be honest, the main reason Republicans are pushing so hard for the Keystone XL pipeline is because the GOP is essentially sponsored and run by big oil.
So, when Boehner says he’s listening to the American people, quite frankly he’s full of crap. Boehner doesn’t give a damn what the American people think, and his history of blocking things that have been more popular than Keystone XL proves it.
Latest posts by Allen Clifton (see all)
- 10 Stats and Facts You Can Use to Educate (or Infuriate) Trumpsters - December 15, 2017
- Sanders Crashes and Burns When Asked Simple Question About Diversity of Trump Administration (Video) - December 14, 2017
- I’d Like to Address Mike Huckabee’s Laughable Insistence that Women Should Admire His Daughter (Video) - December 14, 2017