Then there are those who say “both parties are the same,” those are the people I simply dismiss as ignorant. Are the parties similar on some levels? Of course. But if you can’t tell the glaring differences between their ideologies, I’m not going to waste my time trying to explain them to these people—because they’re beyond hope. In fact they’re just as sheepish in their political debates as those who they accuse of being sheep.
Now I’ll be the first to say liberals aren’t perfect. If you follow my page Right Off A Cliff you have often seen me call them out—much to their displeasure.
Even though liberal ideology is flawed, I still proudly call myself one.
I call myself a liberal because:
- I believe in science
- I believe corporations are businesses, not people
- I believe in equal rights, regardless of sexual orientation
- I believe that 47% of Americans aren’t looking for a government handout
- I believe in climate change, not that God has decided to use weather to “punish sin”
- I believe we must learn from history, not repeat it
- I believe women deserve the same rights as men
- I believe our sexual orientation is something we’re born with, not something we choose
- I believe immigration is what has made this country great, not what will bring it down
- I believe freedom for all means freedom for all
- I believe we have the right to own guns, but our Second Amendment says “well regulated” for a reason
- I believe in a living wage
- I believe you don’t create wealth by giving rich people more money
- I believe welfare helps the poor, it doesn’t punish the rich
- I believe health care is a right, not something for only those who can afford it
- I believe a woman has the right to choose what to do with her own body
- I believe a country is judged based on how they treat their poor, not their rich
- I believe there needs to be an economic threshold which we don’t let Americans fall below
- I believe we are not “entitled” to Social Security and Medicare, we paid into these programs–we earn these benefits
- I believe while we are all born in the same country, we are not all created equal, some people do need help
- I believe investing in education is more important than investing in bombs
- I believe nation building here is more important than the Middle East
- I believe rape—is rape
- I believe demand creates jobs, not tax cuts
- I believe in those “union thugs” like teachers, fire fighters and police officers
- I believe we support our military by not cutting VA benefits and only sending our troops off to war when there are no other options
- I believe we all have the right to follow whichever religion we want, or no religion at all, and our government should represent no singular set of religious beliefs
- I believe our Constitution doesn’t only protect the rights for which I agree, that it sometimes protects rights I disagree with
- I believe that being unemployed doesn’t mean you’re lazy, and most individuals who don’t have a job—want one
- I believe in an United States for the people, by the people, means we protect the people–we don’t leave them to suffer if they hit hard times
- I believe we should protect the weakest among us first, not the richest
- I believe we shouldn’t go broke trying to live healthier and longer
- I believe we should put people before profits
I’m a liberal because I believe in a Constitution that is meant to evolve, grow and progress.
I’m a liberal because I believe in a country that builds our society to benefit 100% of its citizens, not just the top 2%.
And while my side of the political spectrum might not be perfect, it damn sure beats the alternative.