It’s the end of the year so that means it’s time for our yearly wrap up of some of the “top” things/events/stories that happened in politics in 2014. This particular article is going to focus on the five best moments where Republican ridiculousness was completely exposed. I’m keeping it to only five for the sake of time because, let’s be honest, there have been plenty of examples this year where the GOP was made to look like absolute fools.
Alright, let’s get started.
5. An outgoing Republican Wisconsin state senator went after the radicalization and irrational tactics of his own party:
4. Following this year’s elections, a Canadian man wrote an open letter slamming Americans who hate President Obama:
3. Mitt Romney (the 2012 GOP candidate for president) makes his own party look out of touch and partisan by publicly endorsing his support for raising the minimum wage:
- In One Line Mitt Romney Destroys Key Piece of Republican Propaganda, Proves the Party is Out of Touch
2. Jon Stewart hammers Fox News’ hypocrisy when it comes to criticizing President Obama on the brink of possibly a second war in Iraq when they labeled anyone who dared to criticize Bush’s push for war as “treasonous” and “anti-American”:
1. When Republicans in Oklahoma used a “donation loophole” to place a Ten Commandments monument at a government facility, the Satanic Temple used the exact same loophole to erect a statue worshipping Satan:
And that will wrap this one up. Clearly the order of these five is subjective and I’ll fully admit that the Satanic Temple story earned my “number one” spot mainly for the hilarity of them using the exact same loophole that Republicans thought they were being so clever in using to try to force their religion in places that it doesn’t belong.
I just hope that in 2015 we see far more examples of individuals and groups calling out right-wing ignorance because, I’ll be honest, 2014 wasn’t a very strong year for doing that. Which is a big reason why Republicans scored so many victories during this year’s elections.
Have a Happy New Year everyone!