From the rise of Donald Trump and the reemergence of the “Confederate flag” supporter, to Kim Davis’s idiocy and the conservative freakout over LGBT rights, 2015 was definitely one for the books. So, being that I usually like to do at least one “year-in-review” article every year, I thought I’d take a quick look back on five of the worst Republican moments of 2015.
5. Jeb Bush publicly stated his belief that same-sex couples are incapable of providing loving homes to children: Jeb Bush Says Same-Sex Couples Can’t Provide Loving Families, Believes in Legalizing Discrimination (Because nothing says “classy” quite like telling loving gay parents that you don’t believe they’re capable of raising the children they love)
4. Glenn Beck said that 10,000 pastors were willing to die in opposition to same-sex marriage and gay rights: Glenn Beck Warns That 10,000 Pastors Are Willing To Die Opposing Marriage Equality (Last I checked, exactly zero pastors have died because of same-sex marriage)
3. The Republican reaction to same-sex marriage becoming legal: From calling the Supreme Court a bunch of tyrants, to some suggesting that it would lead to “God’s wrath,” we’re months removed from the landmark Supreme Court decision and Republicans still seem to be struggling with accepting that it’s the law of the land.
2. During a GOP presidential debate, Carly Fiorina blatantly lied about videos she claimed to have watched depicting the “harvesting of baby parts” – rhetoric that was later used by the Colorado Springs Planned Parenthood shooter as part of his justification for his murderous rampage: Carly Fiorina Doubles Down On Garbage Lies After Chris Wallace Calls Her Out (Video)
Then following the shooting, many Republicans denied that their rhetoric had anything to do with it, including Ted Cruz suggesting that the shooter could have been a transgender liberal.
1. Basically everything Donald Trump has said: Donald Trump’s Timeline Of Insanity Since Announcing His Candidacy Is Hideous
Love him or hate him, it’s undeniable that Trump has been the story in Republican politics over the last several months. Though just like Politifact nominated all of Trump’s lies for their annual “Lie of the Year” award, it’s impossible for me to peg a single thing he said or did in 2015 that’s substantially worse than something else. His rhetoric is a giant collaboration of vile and offensive comments that include:
- Calling most Mexican immigrants criminals and rapists.
- Belittling a war veteran.
- Suggesting we create a national database to track Muslims.
- Mocking the physical disabilities of a reporter.
- Saying that we should target and kill the families of terrorists.
- Stated we should stop allowing all immigration into the United States.
And those are just a few of the most commonly known offensive things he’s said over the last few months. We can’t forget his seemingly endless list of Twitter temper tantrums he’s thrown basically anytime anyone is even remotely critical of him. Yet, despite all of that, he’s become a bonafide superstar within the GOP.
Well, there you have it folks. While this is clearly not everything repulsive that Republicans did in 2015, these were 5 of the moments that stuck out most to me.
I hope everyone has a Happy New Year!