In the past I’ve professed my belief that the GOP has become the “party of stupid.” While I know not all Republicans are ignorant, it’s undeniable that their party has been taken over by ignorance.
Just look at their presidential candidates. Donald Trump is the overwhelming frontrunner for the Republican party’s presidential nomination. It’s as if a Saturday Night Live skit came to life and is now playing out in front of our eyes.
However, when you really look at it, it’s not just stupidity that’s running rampant through the GOP; crazy has fully cemented itself as a driving force within the Republican party as well.
Let’s just look at some of the evidence, shall we?
1. The Cliven Bundy standoff: Remember this guy? In April of 2014, conservatives from all across the country united behind a guy who refuses to pay grazing fees to the government because he doesn’t believe he owes them – despite the fact that several court orders say he does. This all culminated with supporters of Bundy traveling from all over the country, armed to the teeth, seemingly almost eager for some sort of shootout with federal law enforcement officials. There were even talks by some of these idiots of using women as human shields.
2. The continued denial of science: Not only do most Republicans continue to deny the overwhelmingly accepted scientific facts on climate change, but there have been pushes in several conservative states to have creationism taught alongside evolution in biology classrooms. Just imagine, learning about Charles Darwin one day, then the story of Noah’s Ark the next – in a biology textbook.
3. Kim Davis and her supporters: These are people who are literally advocating that an elected official should have the right to ignore Constitutional law by simply citing their religious beliefs. Then there are folks like Mike Huckabee who seem to think that the Supreme Court doesn’t have the power to do exactly what our Founding Fathers intended for it to do – interpret the constitutionality of laws passed in this country.
4. The Jade Helm conspiracies: Ah, yes, the people who believed a military exercise was some sort of secret plot by the Obama administration to invade several states, declare martial law and confiscate guns. This idiocy ultimately led to armed lunatics opening fire on military personnel. Because nothing says “we’re proud patriots” quite like firing upon members of the United States military.
5. Many don’t believe the Civil War was about slavery: During the summer the Confederate flag debate dominated the news for several weeks following a tragic shooting in Charleston, South Carolina. In the end, this whole discussion confirmed that a lot of Republicans don’t believe the Civil War or the Confederacy were about racism or slavery. Even when I showed some of these individuals official documents from Confederate states loaded with horrifically racist language – it didn’t matter. Despite the overwhelming facts proving that the Civil War and the Confederacy were absolutely about racism and slavery, they weren’t going to change their mind. Apparently even the KKK using the flag as a symbol of their “values” doesn’t matter.
I’ll stop there, but I think I’ve made my point. It seems like with each passing year, sanity continues to exit the Republican party and insanity continues to take over.
Latest posts by Allen Clifton (see all)
- Trump’s Rhetoric on DACA is a Textbook Example of How He Treats His Supporters Like Idiots - March 23, 2018
- Chris Cuomo Has Perfect Response When Kellyanne Conway Once Again Brings Up Clinton (Video) - March 23, 2018
- Tapper Lays Out a Key Argument for Why Many Believe Trump’s Being Blackmailed by Russia (Video) - March 22, 2018