I’ll be honest, I’ve seen this coming for a while now. The moment Jon Stewart took time off to film his movie Rosewater I had a feeling that the end was near. Even listening to some of the comments Stewart had said in the last few months in regards to the show and his future left me with the impression that he wasn’t going to be around much longer. He just seemed ready to move on, even if at the time I hoped I was wrong.
Make no mistake about it, his exit from The Daily Show is a huge blow to our news media. Even though his show was satirical and on Comedy Central, it was still a news show. On many levels it was one of the few honest news broadcasts on television. While Stewart clearly had a liberal lean, there were plenty of times I watched The Daily Show where he absolutely tore into President Obama and Democrats. That’s something you sure as hell don’t see Fox News do to the Republican party on a regular basis.
All I hope is that whoever is ultimately chosen to replace Stewart is the right person for the job, because they have some really big shoes to fill.
That being said, I thought I’d take a moment and list 5 amazing moments from Stewart that show why we’re all desperately going to miss his wit, intelligence and his impact on our news. Every one of these articles has a video of the segment embedded in it, so I would definitely encourage everyone to check them out if you have a few minutes.
5. Jon Stewart Destroys Sean Hannity: ‘Your Special Brand of Spiteful Ignorance Will Always be Legal’: Any time Stewart went off on Sean Hannity it was must-see television. These are two men who I would pay to watch square off in a one-on-one debate. While on-screen animosity is sometimes faked for the sake of entertainment, there’s a clear disdain between these two.
4. Jon Stewart Remakes Koch Brothers Commercial So That It Actually Tells The Truth: A few months ago Stewart was a bit surprised to learn that the Koch brothers had been running advertisements during his show. I guess it makes a little sense. They’re worth tens of billions of dollars so why not waste a few to try to push their nonsense on an audience they normally don’t reach on Fox News? Well, Stewart had some fun with this advertisement, remaking it in such a way that it actually told the truth instead of the propaganda it was pushing. And I think it goes without saying that Stewart’s version was absolutely hilarious.
3. Jon Stewart Mocks Sarah Palin’s Iowa Gibberish: ‘Ma’am You’ve Got To Leave The Walgreens’: Besides George W. Bush, I’m not sure if there was ever a public figure more suited to be mocked and ridiculed by Jon Stewart than Sarah Palin. Her brand of idiocy is definitely one of a kind and any time he had a chance to express his feelings about something she had said or done, it was usually pure gold.
2b. Jon Stewart Crushes ‘Diseased Minds’ on Fox News: ‘F**k You And All Your False Patriotism!’: It’s not every day you see Stewart step a bit out of character, but in this particular instance you could feel how much he detested Fox News. He absolutely went off on the network’s hypocrisy for bashing President Obama for every small thing at every single turn despite the fact that we’re almost on the brink of another war – yet during Bush’s presidency they went after anyone and everyone who dared to criticize the president while the nation was at war.
2a. Jon Stewart Tears Apart Fox News’ Ferguson Coverage: You ‘Have No F**king Idea, Do You?’: In another moment where Stewart clearly took an issue personally, he absolutely crushed Fox News’ often absurd coverage of the Mike Brown shooting. It was Stewart in rare form and a segment that’s definitely worth checking out.
1. Now the reason the last two were 2b and 2a respectively is because possibly Stewart’s best moment came just after the 9/11 attacks. If you’ve never watched the video, I highly recommend that you do, as it’s easily some of the best work Stewart has ever done:
Obviously I couldn’t list all of my favorite moments from Stewart, so I kept it to a few of my favorites. But these segments serve as a great reminder that while The Daily Show will live on, it will never be the same without Jon Stewart sitting at that desk.
Latest posts by Allen Clifton (see all)
- Doctored Emails Being Shopped Trying to ‘Prove’ Ridiculous Parkland Town Hall Conspiracy - February 23, 2018
- CNBC Report Details How the RNC’s Paying Trump Hundreds of Thousands of Dollars - February 23, 2018
- Out Of Everything Maddening About Trump’s Presidency, This is What Frustrates Me the Most - February 23, 2018