I know with Donald Trump currently occupying the White House, it’s difficult to feel optimistic about much of anything. I’m not here to say that the end of this nightmare is imminent, though I’ll fully admit that I’m shocked he made it through his first year. I really thought he’d resign at some point. That still may happen, it just might take longer than I originally believed that it would.
However, as bleak as things might seem nowadays, there’s still a lot for progressives to look forward to heading into 2018.
So, to kick off the New Year, I thought I’d throw together a list of the “Top 5” things I think progressives should carry with them heading into 2018.
1. Robert Mueller’s investigation should really advance: Whether or not Mueller’s investigation reaches its conclusion in 2018 is still anybody’s guess. I think it’s safe to assume that we should know something fairly definitive before the calendar flips to 2019. How it all ends is speculative for now, but something tells me when it’s all said and done, we’re going to be looking at a political scandal much larger than Watergate.
2. The Resistance is growing: With big wins in Virginia, New Jersey, and even Alabama, we’re seeing the “Resistance” against Trump’s unhinged insanity fighting back. We saw it in mayoral, city council and school board elections across the country as well. While there’s still a lot of work to be done, what was once mostly just a hashtag used on social media is becoming a full-fledged movement driven by the tens of millions of Americans trying to save this country from Trump and the Republicans who’ve decided to put their party over what’s best for this nation.
3. The tide is turning against Trump: Now that Republicans got the awful tax bill they’ve been wanting to pass for years, look for some of them to be more vocal in their opposition to Trump. My belief is that quite a few of them were simply “playing nice” to get the tax bill passed, yet now that they’ve used Trump to sign that massive handout to the rich, they’ll be less inclined to care about what he thinks of them. Especially with the reality looking more and more like Mueller’s investigation might yield results they damn sure aren’t going to like.
4. The 2018 midterms: Stopping Trump began the day after he was elected, but he can really be “put in check,” so to speak, if Democrats can take back control of either the House or the Senate in November. It won’t be easy, but if we can seize back power in Congress, that would effectively block Trump from doing even more damage than he’s already done. It wouldn’t stop him completely, but it would at least put people in charge who’ll do what Congress is meant to do and hold a president accountable for their actions — which Republicans have refused to do.
5. Progressives control their own fate: This is true every single day, week, month, year, and election. Time after time progressives have proven that when we show up to vote, we win damn near every single time. That’s why Republicans are so desperate to pass vote-suppressing voter ID laws. They know that the easiest (and really only) way for them to hold power heading into the future is by doing everything they can to keep as many progressives from being able to vote as possible. Republicans know that if progressives truly show up to vote and put small differences aside, they can’t beat us. Our fate is in our own hands. It always is. It’s just up to us what we want to do with it.
Again, I know times are tough right now with a national embarrassment living in the White House, but all hope is not lost. The fight won’t be easy, but it’s definitely a fight worth having. It’s an every day battle to save this country from Donald Trump and the millions of ignorant people supporting him.
Though like I said in #5, at the end of the day, our fate is in our own hands. This country can be as progressive as we want to make it. If enough sensible Americans say “it’s time to fix this” and get involved, Republicans lose. It’s as simple as that.
Let’s prove it this November and every day until then.
Latest posts by Allen Clifton (see all)
- To Those Blaming Democrats for the Government Shutdown: You’re Out of Your Damn Minds - January 21, 2018
- Not a Joke: GOP Rep. Tries to Blame Government Shutdown on Barack Obama (Video) - January 21, 2018
- 5 Things the Government Shutdown Proves About Donald Trump and the Republican Party - January 21, 2018