While I’ll be the first to admit that liberals have their flaws, they don’t even compare to the nonsense I see coming from conservatives and the Republican party. A friend of mine might have put it best a few weeks backs when he said, “I wasn’t raised to be either a Democrat or a Republican, but the stuff I hear on Fox News just doesn’t make any damn sense to me.” I think that sums up a lot of the beliefs held by the GOP and its supporters.
Even within right-wing rhetoric itself are hypocrisies that are so glaring it’s comical. These are the folks who talk about how much they love small government one moment – then proclaim how they want a Constitutional Amendment banning same-sex marriage the next.
Well, in the spirit of right-wing ridiculousness and hypocrisy, I thought I would list five reasons why liberals are better (and more Constitutional) than our conservative counterparts. (Yes, I’m well aware that there are far more than just five reasons.)
1. Liberals actually support religious freedom: As liberals, we really don’t care what religion anyone follows. All we ask is that people don’t try to force their views on others and that we keep religion and government separate. Oh, and that businesses don’t try to use religion to justify discrimination – which, by the way, is unconstitutional.
Meanwhile, when it comes to conservatives, they talk about “religious freedom,” but what they really want is the ability to force their version of Christianity (and only Christianity) on the whole country.
2. Liberals are much more Constitutional about abortion: I know plenty of liberals who aren’t fans of abortion, but they’re still pro-choice. Liberals understand that women have the Constitutional right to have control over their own bodies. Even if some liberals happen to not actually agree with abortion, they still respect the right for every women to make that decision for herself.
Yet when it comes to conservatives, they couldn’t care less about Roe v. Wade or what the Constitution says – they’re against abortion and believe the government should have the right to take over control of a woman’s body the moment she becomes pregnant. Don’t you just love those “small government” beliefs?
3. Liberals actually care about education: A growing movement among Democrats is to make at least community college (if not all public universities) free. At the very least, the goal among most liberals is to improve the quality of our nation’s education, while also making it more affordable so that every American who wants to get an education can do so without going into enormous amounts of debt.
When it comes to Republicans, their ultimate goal is to basically privatize all education. That way they can teach their anti-science/pro-religion nonsense legally – something they can’t do with our current public education system. Besides, the last thing the GOP wants is a well-educated society. Facts show that the more educated someone is, the less likely it is that they’ll be a Republican.
4. Liberals actually care about helping poor and middle class Americans: From health care reform to proposing bills aimed at creating middle class jobs and raising the minimum wage, liberals support policies that actually help 98 percent of Americans.
What’s the Republican “plan” to help the poor and middle class Americans? Tax cuts for the rich. No, seriously, that’s been their “only” plan for the last 30+ years – and it’s an absolute scam.
5. Liberals actually believe in science: I never thought I’d see the day when overwhelming scientific facts like evolution, the age of the Earth and climate change would “be up for debate,” but that’s what we’ve seen lately. When an accomplished and respected astrophysicist tells liberals “this is a scientific fact,” they tend to actually believe the scientific expert.
However, conservatives see science and faith as interchangeable on many levels. These are the folks who say “let’s leave the science to the scientists,” then proceed to doubt overwhelming scientific consensus whenever it doesn’t support their political ideologies. Then again, that’s what happens when you’re bought and sold by big oil companies while simultaneously trying to use religion to manipulate millions of Americans to vote against their own interests.
Alright, well that will wrap this up. Like I said, I could have easily listed far more than just five ways liberals are better (and more Constitutional) than conservatives, but we might be here all day.
Image via Formidable Republican Opposition on Facebook
Latest posts by Allen Clifton (see all)
- Former British PM Rips ‘Dangerous’ Trump, Mocks Him for Needing Russia’s Help to Get Elected - December 13, 2017
- The 5 Biggest Losers From the Embarrassing Roy Moore Debacle in Alabama - December 13, 2017
- Roy Moore Lost, but That Doesn’t Absolve Republicans From Supporting a Child Molester - December 13, 2017