With Donald Trump set to deliver his first “official” State of the Union speech, understandably much of the nation is going to be tuned in tomorrow night to hear what his handlers wrote for him to say.
I’m here to tell folks why this year, you can probably skip watching the event.
Under normal circumstances I’d be looking forward to watching the annual speech. It didn’t matter if it was Bill Clinton, George W. Bush, or Barack Obama, as a person who enjoys following politics, I’ve always enjoyed the State of the Union.
Not this year.
So I thought I’d run down 5 quick reasons why I feel watching Trump’s State of the Union speech is absolutely a waste of time.
1. It was written by someone else: When it comes to Donald Trump, I couldn’t care less what he has to say when he’s reading a speech written and carefully edited by other people. Time after time I’ve seen this “president” give a speech that was written by someone else that members of the media rushed out to declare as “Trump proving he’s presidential,” only for the real thoughts and beliefs of Donald J. Trump to come out soon after via Twitter or at one of his rallies.
2. He’s going to use economic numbers he once called “fake” and “phony” to brag about an economy he had almost nothing to do with: Nothing like a “president” bragging about economic numbers he once said weren’t real to brag about an economy he had almost nothing to do with — the same economy he called a “disaster” up until the point that he was sworn into office.
Speaking of economy, I’m certain he’s not going to admit that 2017 was the worst year for jobs since 2010.
3. He’s an idiot who has no idea what he’s talking about: Does anyone really believe when Trump discusses complicated issues such as the economy, health care, immigration, international diplomacy, or global conflicts he has any idea what he’s talking about? As I said in #1, this speech was written by someone else and I’m supremely confident that Trump’s mind doesn’t comprehend most of what he’s going to say. He’s just going to read what someone else wrote while acting like he actually understands the words that are coming out of his mouth.
4. He’s going to spend most of the speech just trying to make himself look good: By this I don’t simply mean bringing up his “accomplishments.” That’s normal politics, and most presidents do it during their State of the Union speeches. When I say Trump’s going to use the speech to make himself look good, I mean that he’s going to try to present himself in a more diplomatic, reasonable image hoping that by giving a “presidential” speech, his approval numbers might actually improve from their historic (and embarrassing) lows. As I’ve mentioned several times before, everything Trump does is about making himself look good, so that’s exactly what this speech is going to be about. Though as I pointed out in #1, if anyone wants so see the real Trump, just give him a few hours/days and watch what he says when he’s using his own words, not those written by someone else.
That’s why his main themes are “safe, strong, and proud.” He’s not going to present a message to unify the country, he’s going to claim the United States is “safer, stronger, and Americans are more proud of their country” because of him — even though none of that is true.
5. He’s a liar: Just like during his campaign, Trump’s going to give a speech predicated on a reality that doesn’t exist. When you’re someone like Trump who’s not held accountable by your supporters for any of the lies you tell, that gives him the ability to say whatever the hell he wants, no matter how unrealistic. At the end of the day the people backing him don’t care how much he lies, just as long as he’s telling them what they want to hear. So as long as Trump stands there and tells them that he’s fixed the economy, that he’s kept the country safer, that he’s reduced illegal immigration, that he’s defeating ISIS, that he’s going to make Mexico eventually pay for his wall, that he’s going to rebuild America’s infrastructure — no matter how unrealistic, expensive, or dishonest any of that is — they’re going to love it because it’s what they want to hear.
Yet at the end of the day, as Trump’s proven time and time again, nothing he says should be taken seriously because he’s completely full of crap.
There are obviously more reasons why Trump’s State of the Union speech is all but worthless to watch, but these are definitely the “Top 5” reasons why I think people shouldn’t feel bad for skipping this year’s speech.
Latest posts by Allen Clifton (see all)
- Trump’s Infrastructure Scam Amounts to a Massive Tax Hike on Poor & Middle Class Americans - February 18, 2018
- People Who Elected a Reality TV Star Want Athletes to Stop Discussing Politics - February 17, 2018
- Dear Trump Supporters: He Doesn’t Give a Damn About You - February 17, 2018