As I’ve said plenty of times before, Republicans love to champion themselves the “party of Christianity.” It’s never really made much sense to me considering I don’t see any real Christian values in practically anything that they support.
Aside from their opposition to abortion and same-sex marriage (two issues about which Jesus Christ never spoke) there’s almost no semblance to anything even remotely related to Christianity in the Republican platform. Sure, they talk a lot about God and the Bible – but that doesn’t make someone a Christian any more than talking about cars makes someone an auto mechanic.
I always go back to the difference between being a Christian, someone who follows the teachings and beliefs of Jesus Christ, and someone who believes in God. It’s possible to believe in God but not be a Christian.
But to show how un-Christ like many Republicans are, I thought I’d list five things Republicans strongly support that Jesus Christ would absolutely be against.
1. Guns: It’s astonishing to me how Republicans can honestly believe that if Jesus Christ were alive today, he’d be a AR-15 loving, open carrying Republican with a stockpile of guns and ammunition. A man whose life stood for peace and love would be a big fan of the NRA and gun fanatics who think we have the right to violently overthrow a Constitutionally elected government. Yes, because that absolutely makes sense.
2. Tax cuts for the rich: Somehow I doubt a man who spoke out against greed – frequently – would be a big fan of an economic policy predicated around making the rich even richer. Not only that, but essentially every “plan” Republicans support to “fix” our tax code not only benefits the rich – but makes the poor and middle class pay more.
3. Opposition to universal health care: I can’t imagine that someone who preached about helping the helpless and taking care of the needy and most vulnerable among us would oppose the right for every human being, regardless of income, to have access to health care.
4. Cutting programs that help the poor: Yes, the very people who claim to be the followers of someone who dedicated much of his life to helping the poor seem to believe he would be on the side of the people who vilify the poor and often push for cuts to funding for programs that help those living in poverty take care of their families.
5. Immigration reform: Let’s see, would a man who stood for “loving thy neighbor” and accepting others be on the side of a party which applauds a man who calls poor immigrants criminals and rapists – or would he oppose such remarks and those who supported them? I’ll let common sense answer that one.
Now I’m sure any conservative coming across this will instantly dismiss it. After all, they only seem to believe in their version of Christianity which exists in their own minds. Though it’s amazing how un-Christ like that “Christianity” seems to be.
Featured meme via Forward Progressives on Facebook.
Latest posts by Allen Clifton (see all)
- John Kelly Has Disgraced Himself, this Country and Our Military - October 21, 2017
- New Disgusting Report Exposes Fox News as the ‘Harvey Weinstein’ of Cable News - October 21, 2017
- For the Second Time, Trump Accuses Family of Fallen Hero Sgt. La David Johnson of Lying - October 20, 2017