Despite the fact Republicans control the House, Senate, and White House, our government is currently “closed.” While Donald Trump and the GOP are doing everything they can to convince people that Democrats should be blamed for the shutdown, this is almost entirely on them.
Trump’s the one who ended DACA, while the GOP-controlled Congress let CHIP funding expire several months ago. Now they’re trying to leverage both to force Democrats to agree to approve billions of taxpayer money to be spent on the worthless wall Trump promised the American people Mexico would be paying for.
With all the stupidity we’re currently witnessing, I thought I’d take a moment to run down five things this government shutdown proves about Trump.
1. A year into office, Trump has almost no control over his own party, nor do Republican leaders respect him: Much like the GOP’s attempt to repeal Obamacare, Republican leadership couldn’t care less about what Trump says or does. They’re doing all of this on their own, while he sits back, clueless about what’s going on, looking for any way to try to take credit for whatever happens to make himself look good.
2. Trump’s treating being “president” like it’s a damn reality TV show: It’s obvious Trump doesn’t grasp just how bad it is that the government is “closed.” Based on his behavior, he seems to think this is all just a big game built on suspense, drama, and winning a popularity contest. Even with a shutdown looming, Trump was still planning to fly down to Florida until it seems people within his administration told him how bad that would make him look. Like with most everything else, it’s clear Trump’s mind isn’t able to grasp the seriousness of this situation.
3. Republicans are what’s wrong with our government: Think about this for a moment. Despite full control of the House, Senate, and White House, we’ve seen the GOP fail to repeal Obamacare, something they spent years promising they’d do the moment they gained back the White House, they barely passed tax reform despite it being another “signature” party issue, and now the government has been shut down because Trump ended DACA and the GOP refused to pass a clean bill funding CHIP. This all comes on the heels of the GOP spending years blocking pretty much anything Barack Obama wanted done, which included a pointless shutdown in 2013 over Obamacare and spending most of 2016 preventing him from rightfully replacing Antonin Scalia on the Supreme Court.
The more power in our government Republicans have, the more inefficient and incompetent it becomes.
4. All Trump and Republicans care about is pandering to their base: While there are other factors behind this shutdown, the main issue is trying to get Democrats to back funding for a border wall that they know isn’t going to do a damn thing to prevent illegal immigration. They’re literally playing politics with the lives of DREAMers and the millions of children who rely on CHIP for health care just so they can waste billions of taxpayer dollars on something that does nothing more than pander to the bigotry and racism that fuels a good portion of their supporters. To make matters worse, a good chunk of Republicans, and most Americans, actually support protecting DREAMers from being deported.
Republicans are trying to paint Democrats as the “party trying to protect illegal immigrants,” even as many members of their own party know protecting DREAMers is the right thing to do, simply because a good chunk of their “base” is a bunch of immigrant-hating bigots and racists who they’re trying to work up and pander to heading into the 2018 midterms.
This is about nothing more than trying to leverage funding for that idiotic wall, while painting Democrats as putting illegal immigrants ahead of Americans, all to pander to millions of conservative voters who hate brown people.
5. Once again, Trump’s “skills” as a negotiator are proven to be absolutely pathetic: While I’m not arrogant enough to call myself any kind of “master negotiator,” I can say with absolute certainty that Trump damn sure isn’t one. His entire “skill set” as a negotiator seems to be predicated on trying to bully other people into doing what he wants. Then when he can’t, he throws a hissy fit hoping to get his way. As I said in #1, his party doesn’t respect him, so they really couldn’t care less what he actually wants. The only thing Republican leadership is concerned with is placating his ego and passing something because they know he’s going to sign it. He’s too stupid to understand most of what’s going on and to not sign something a GOP-led Congress sent him would make him look incredibly bad — which is really the only thing he cares about.
If Trump were truly this “master negotiator,” Obamacare would have been repealed, Mexico would be paying for his stupid wall, and the government wouldn’t be shut down right now. Reality tells us that Republicans failed to repeal Obamacare, there’s no way that Mexico is ever paying for that pointless wall, and the government is currently shut down.
Donald Trump is nothing but an incompetent buffoon whose only “skills” as a negotiator are trying to use his power to bully people or lashing out like an out-of-control tween with emotional issues and a very limited vocabulary hoping people give in to his perpetual temper tantrum.