Unless you’ve been living under a rock, you’ve likely heard the news that Michael Flynn has accepted a plea deal with the FBI where he’s expected to testify against Donald Trump, his family, and campaign officials in regards to his communication with Russia.
I think it goes without saying that this is an incredibly big deal.
That said, I don’t want to dissect too many of the details of Flynn’s plea deal considering I’m expecting that information to continue to pour out over the next few hours/days. I’m going to wait until more information comes out before I offer any sort of thorough analysis on what, exactly, Flynn’s told the FBI in regards to Trump, his campaign, and last year’s election.
However, I do think there are a few things people need to keep an eye out from Trump, the GOP, and the conservative media now that Flynn’s become a key witness for Robert Mueller and the FBI.
1. Donald Trump’s inevitable Twitter meltdown: We all know it’s coming. As I said on Twitter:
Waiting for Trump's impending Twitter explosion is like watching a volcano you know is about to erupt shake and rumble. You know a massive eruption is coming, you just aren't sure exactly when or how massive it's going to be.
— Allen Clifton (@Allen_Clifton) December 1, 2017
2. Trump’s team trying to paint Flynn as a liar who’s out to save himself: While there’s still the option that Trump could paint Flynn as a “victim of the FBI’s witch hunt against him,” I think the more plausible path they’ll take is to downplay his role with the administration and last year’s campaign, while painting him as a liar who’s desperately trying to save himself from a lengthy jail sentence.
3. Get ready for a whole lot of Hillary Clinton’s name being brought up: Much like #1, you know this is coming. When Trump or the conservative media can’t defend something, their go-to move is deflect and distract by evoking Clinton’s name as much as possible.
4. Fox News will once again prove that it’s essentially nothing more than Trump’s own version of a state-run propaganda network: Aside from the few credible journalists on Fox News such as Shep Smith or Chris Wallace, Fox News is almost certainly about to go into crisis mode trying to defend Trump. I expect Sean Hannity’s slide toward Alex Jones levels of utter insanity to finally reach its completion following this news. Here’s a great screenshot tweeted out by John Ziegler to keep on hand for the coming weeks:
— John Ziegler (@Zigmanfreud) October 28, 2017
5. Conspiracies, conspiracies, conspiracies: While I fully expect Trump, his administration, his supporters, and the right-wing media to paint Flynn as a criminal and a liar who’s willing to say anything to save himself, I also expect the “deep state/FBI witch hunt” conspiracies to be pushed heavily over the next few days. I wouldn’t be shocked if Trump even tries to fire Mueller, or at least news starts to spread that he’s inquiring about doing so. He’s also going to be wondering how far his pardon power goes to possibly protect himself and his family from what many feel could be impending prosecution.
Without a doubt, Friday’s news is what many of us have been expecting. While I’ve learned my lesson to never say “this is what’s going to bring down Donald Trump” considering his supporters are brainwashed and believe anything he says, the fact is, the FBI wouldn’t have made this deal with Michael Flynn unless he had substantial and credible evidence to back up his expected testimony that he was instructed by the Trump campaign to communicate with Russian officials last year.
Latest posts by Allen Clifton (see all)
- Fox News’ Smith Blasts Trump for Being Too Much of a Coward to Condemn Russia (Video) - February 19, 2018
- There’s Another Reason Trump Poses a Risk to Our National Security Which Few People are Discussing - February 19, 2018
- Trump’s Budget Steals From the Poor and Elderly to Make People Like Him Wealthier - February 18, 2018