This is the eleventh installment in our weekly fact-check series “The 5 Worst Conservative Memes Of The Week.” For last week’s installment, see here.
For those of you who are seeing this for the first time, the idea behind the countdown is to spotlight the dumbest, most absurd, or downright horrible conservative memes that are floating around on social media.
We also discuss the Facebook page or other social media accounts associated with them when applicable, as many of these images are used to advertise a website, petition, or political cause. In the interest of being fair, I also do a monthly column that addresses idiotic or hateful ones from the left, as they do exist as well.
With that out of the way, on to our countdown.
5. Our first one this week comes from the right-wing clickbait site The Patriot Post.
If you’re dumb enough to subscribe to this website and believe their posts – like this gem about Michelle Obama and fried chicken that is nothing more than a rehosted link that takes you to The Washington Times – then maybe this idiotic meme is for you. The federal government under the Affordable Care Act is not going to handle the medical records of every American any more than they are going to appoint death panels that mandate we put grandpa on an iceberg and float him out to sea. In the minds of the morons who click on their website before being redirected to ever so slightly more credible conservative sites, because the IRS allegedly lost Lois Lerner’s emails, somehow that means the government is going to handle and lose my appendectomy records from 1999.
4. I’d like to quit Conservative Lady, but with stuff like this, I just can’t.
As I’ve said before, I don’t think she believes half of the stuff that she posts on her page. Like many other conservative pages (and some liberal ones as well), I’m pretty sure Amy aka Conservative Lady posts whatever will fire up her audience and cash in on the resulting web traffic. Even though the Benghazi story has even been almost completely dropped by Fox, right-wing click farms are still bringing it up in between selling gold and survival gear, just in case President Obama somehow declares himself president for life and institutes martial law. Be very afraid and don’t forget to buy our stuff! Oh Amy, I have to hand it to you, you really do have your
suckers audience pegged so well.
3. This one isn’t necessarily a meme, but it’s a slogan that conservatives have been plastering on the back of their vehicles and spouting online ever since President Obama was elected. Now the folks over at Being Conservative have added it into their mix of email sign up lists posing as petitions and other clickbait nonsense.
Like Conservative Lady and many other Facebook pages on the right (and again, some on the left), Being Conservative is nothing more than a Facebook page designed to drive traffic to websites or petitions – or in this case, sell t-shirts. I hope nobody actually wastes their money on these shirts, but if they do, it is useful to show who has little grasp of how government actually works. Oh, and if you’re a liberal who failed to vote this year, you’re not allowed to laugh. These morons voted, but you didn’t.
2. I came across the moronic page “South Louisiana Patriots” today while reading other ridiculous comments on KATC. Needless to say, these folks are a special kind of paranoid and stupid – and they have guns.
First of all, if you want someone to take you seriously, learn to proofread memes before you make them, or before you download them from someone else and then post them as your own. It might also help to have a working website, understand the difference between regulation and confiscation, as well as a working knowledge of how the Constitution ACTUALLY works. I’m pretty sure half of these guys listen to Alex Jones and/or ate paint chips as kids, but at least they make me laugh when I read local news pages.
1. In the wake of yesterday’s election, I can’t tell if this one from RNC Chairman Reince Priebus is dumb or true, or both. Let’s give it a little of both, shall we?
I guess he’s right, the victory belongs to the people who actually got off Facebook, and stopped signing and sharing silly petitions long enough to get to the polls. Yes, Mr. Priebus, your party won but it wasn’t because your team played harder and did everything right, it’s because the other team didn’t show up. In other words, they forfeited. It doesn’t mean your ideas are great, it’s just that the left sat around and thought armchair activism replaced actually voting. Enjoy your victory, for now.
And that’s it for this week. Join us next time for 5 more of the dumbest, most ridiculous conservative memes that we’ve found floating around social media. As always, remember that just because they put something on the internet, that doesn’t mean it’s true, or intelligent. Just ask Senator Vitter about his petition he claimed would stop Ebola in Louisiana, or the constant fear mongering from Fox News all the way up to the election.
Would you like to nominate a meme for me to debunk or feature in an upcoming list? Visit my Facebook page and leave me a message with a link to one you want to see addressed – you may just see it here. Thanks to all of the tips from our fans that help make writing this weekly column easier, and a lot of fun.
Latest posts by Manny Schewitz (see all)
- It Looks Inevitable, Donald Trump Will Eventually Be The Republican Nominee - January 17, 2016
- Donald Trump Is Now Using Ted Cruz’s Canadian Birth Against Him - January 14, 2016
- Hillary Clinton’s False Statements On Bernie Sanders’ Healthcare Record Are Disgraceful - January 14, 2016