This is the twelfth installment in our weekly fact-check series “The 5 Worst Conservative Memes Of The Week.” For last week’s installment, see here.
For those of you who are seeing this for the first time, the idea behind the countdown is to spotlight the dumbest, most absurd, or downright horrible conservative memes that are floating around on social media. We also discuss the Facebook page or other social media accounts associated with them when applicable, as many of these images are used to advertise a website, petition, or political cause. In the interest of being fair, I also do a monthly column that addresses idiotic or hateful ones from the left because they do exist as well.
Again, if you are new here, this is the brief synopsis: Have you ever received those email forwards that tell you how people are putting HIV-loaded syringes on gas pump handles or that if you forward within 10 minutes, you will meet the person of your dreams? Yeah, it’s that kind of rubbish designed to prey on the gullible or pull on your heartstrings – and in this case, it’s in the form of conservative memes.
With that out of the way, on to our countdown.
5. Our first submission this week comes from the conservative page “Freedom From Tyranny,” which should really be named “Freedom From Reality.” This page seems to be comprised of dumb memes like this one, as well as posting links to conservativetribune.com and making hints at armed insurrection.
Conservatives love to kvetch about immigrants and talk about how they’re “taking our jobs,” but then complain when they have to pay a U.S. citizen to do the job. If the readers of that page and others actually woke up one day and finally realized that businesses don’t want immigration reform and amnesty because it would make it harder to cheat employment laws, I’m willing to guess that some would stop voting for Republicans. For you conservatives reading this, here’s a free hint: corporations don’t care about you and neither do the politicians who they own and you vote for.
4. Speaking of the Conservative Tribune, I found this little nugget of derp and fear on their page that they swiped from another page called “Stop Hillary In 2016.” I do have to give them credit though, at least they’re honest about what they’re absolutely frightened about. After all, that’s the only reason they’re still running with the Benghazi talking points.
That’s pretty rich, a clown and media attention seeker like Donald Trump calling President Obama a “clown.” Is this the state of conservative politics now where celebrities with what looks like roadkill squirrels glued to their heads have taken the microphone? It seems like it’s turned into a gossip column/reality show circus that sells clickbait like this one from Conservative Tribune designed to cash in on the fear of Islam. The headline is, “URGENT: Muslim Leaders Are Mobilizing Muslims to Do Something That Could Destroy the Constitution” – and turns out to be nothing more than a story about a gathering of Muslims being told to vote on the basis of their religion, which is something that happens ALL THE TIME with conservative Christians. You won’t hear about that from the Conservative Tribune, or Fox, or any of the other media sources that cater to the right.
3. This was recently posted by a Tea Party congressional candidate here in Louisiana, Lenar Whitney. Despite her massive campaign signs that were little more than a photo of herself, she didn’t even get 10% of the vote in a very conservative district.
Perhaps stuff like this didn’t resonate with the district she wanted to represent where the candidate with the most votes was an octogenenarian former governor who was also a convicted felon. Perhaps when you’re a candidate in an area that is being very much affected by climate change and coastal erosion, basically claiming science is a liberal plot from hell is a little too much, even by Southern Louisiana standards.
Thinking that everyone should pay their own way and that hard work and determination alone will make people rich is the simplistic message floated by a lot of conservatives who don’t know or ignore the way the real world works. Speaking of paying for your own food, I’d like to ask the creator of this dumb meme what they think about the fact that many companies don’t pay a living wage or that thousands of American soldiers and their families receive food stamps? By these standards, shouldn’t we also cut off subsidies to oil companies like the ones who flourish in Louisiana? I’d like to ask Rep. Lenar Whitney this question but I was banned from her page with a vengeance months ago for asking simple, inoffensive, but honest questions.
2. This one comes from the now-infamous Open Carry Texas page. In case you haven’t heard of them, let me fill you in real quick. Open Carry Texas is an assortment of anti-government nuts who want to be able to openly carry handguns in Texas – because apparently having your firearm concealed and having to get a permit to do so is somehow an infringement of their 2nd Amendment rights.
Bunch of white guys (and one female)? Check. Cliché sign message about gay people? Check. Wait, what does that have to do with being able to openly carry handguns without a license? I’m not sure but apparently they found it important enough to respond to the recent anger by religious conservatives in Houston towards Mayor Annise Parker, to pose in front of a sign and show off their guns. Bless their hearts, at least they didn’t make the mistake of posing with fingers on triggers, which is always good for a laugh, as well as a possible accidental discharge.
1. Once again, Conservative Lady makes an appearance. I’d honestly love to quit her but I can’t, thanks to the consistent flow of facepalm-worthy memes that she posts over there.
I’m not sure who originally created this meme, but I’ve seen it on a number of other conservative pages besides Amy’s. I’ve also found zero proof that this was something R. Lee Ermey said, and I’m also pretty sure he wouldn’t appreciate his image being used for statements like this – especially when the creator couldn’t tell the difference between “loosing” and “losing.” But it is safe to say that this image was shared thousands of times from a variety of conservative pages – just on her page alone it was shared nearly 3,300 times.
P.S. We aren’t L-O-S-I-N-G our country to people who don’t eat bacon. If anything, we’re L-O-S-I-N-G our country to greed, hatred, ignorance and as we witnessed last Tuesday, apathy.
And that’s it for this week. Join us next time for 5 more of the dumbest, most ridiculous conservative memes that we’ve found floating around social media. As always, remember that just because they put something on the internet, that doesn’t mean it’s true, or intelligent. Just ask Senator David Vitter’s staff about their fake petition that they claimed would stop Ebola in Louisiana.
Would you like to nominate a meme for me to debunk or feature in an upcoming list? Visit my Facebook page and leave me a message with a link to one you want to see addressed – you may just see it here. Thanks to all of the tips from our fans that help make writing this weekly column easier, and a lot of fun.
Latest posts by Manny Schewitz (see all)
- It Looks Inevitable, Donald Trump Will Eventually Be The Republican Nominee - January 17, 2016
- Donald Trump Is Now Using Ted Cruz’s Canadian Birth Against Him - January 14, 2016
- Hillary Clinton’s False Statements On Bernie Sanders’ Healthcare Record Are Disgraceful - January 14, 2016