For those of you who are seeing this for the first time, the idea behind the countdown is to spotlight the dumbest, most absurd, or downright horrible conservative memes that are floating around on social media. We also discuss the Facebook page or other social media accounts associated with them, as many of these images are used to advertise a website, petition, or political cause.
Again, if you are new here, this is the brief synopsis: Have you ever received those email forwards that tell you how people are putting HIV-loaded syringes on gas pump handles or that if you forward within 10 minutes, you will meet the person of your dreams? Yeah, it is that kind of rubbish designed to prey on the gullible or pull on your heartstrings – and in this case, it’s in the form of conservative memes.
And now, on to the dumbest conservative memes of the week:
5. Number five this week comes to us from the page “The Revolution,” which has made an appearance before here on the countdown. The page is a front for the far-right website Universal Free Press and posts links to it on a regular basis. This image was posted with the caption, “Since progressive liberals can’t quite seem to read the newspaper, here’s a little picture that explains things in a rather simple way for them to comprehend.”
For the people who don’t know the difference between Iraq and Iran, let alone Shiite and Sunni, this image makes sense. Brown people in robes happy = George Bush good. Brown people in robes shooting other brown people in robes = Barack Obama bad. The problem with this asinine image is that it is aimed at the people who can’t find Iraq on a map, but think the best foreign policy is just to drop nuclear bombs on the region and kill everyone.
Prior to our cowboy president’s invasion of the wrong country in 2003, minority Sunnis held power in Iraq under Saddam Hussein. After the removal of Saddam Hussein, a Shiite majority government was installed and Sunnis felt shut out. ISIS is a coalition of Islamic extremists and Sunni insurgents who are upset with the fact they no longer hold power as they did back in the days before Saddam was removed. If former prime minister Nouri al-Maliki had allowed Sunnis more of a voice in their government and had created more trust with other governments in the region like Saudi Arabia, we might not have seen this outburst of violence.
4. Number four comes to us from the page “Conservative Lady” that represents the website gopthedailydose.com, which is right up your alley if you like fake blondes, fake boobs and fake news with shallow, jingoistic talking points.
This one is dumb since nothing was found in all the time wasted on the Benghazi investigations. There really is nothing else to say other than no images were posted by that page on 9/11 to remember the nearly 3,000 people who died on 9/11/2001, probably because that happened on Bush’s watch. Typical.
3. Our third submission is from the page “Conservative Tribune” which represents the website of the same name. With over 1.16 million followers, this page has a pretty decent reach and probably makes a tidy sum each week posting their scaremongering links. The image below was posted with a brief blurb about how much they missed Laura Bush.
Sure, Laura Bush was a classy first lady. I don’t have anything against her personally and think she is probably a pretty decent human being, but that’s not what the person who uploaded it had in mind. Gee, I wonder what the most noticeable difference is between Laura Bush and Michelle Obama? Height? Blue dress? Just kidding, it’s the color of her skin, and I don’t think the Conservative Tribune meant anything else.
The comments that followed included a ton of rants and insults towards Michelle Obama that I can’t post here, but if you want to subject yourself to the mind-numbing outburst of right-wing transphobic and racial remarks, click here.
2. Number two popped up in my feed recently and it turns out, conservatives (especially the folks at Human Events) are STILL upset about Paula Deen being 86’d from her job. It’s been what, over a year now?
This one is especially stupid since the original creator of this image obviously didn’t know or didn’t care that there’s a difference between private sector employment and public sector employment. Of course the audience this was aimed at also doesn’t understand that free speech isn’t unlimited and doesn’t protect your job making butter-filled recipes on TV in the private sector either. This is like comparing butter to oranges; it just doesn’t make any sense.
1. At the top of our countdown, we have this image from the page “Barack Obama’s Dead Fly,” which is about as hateful and stupid as it sounds. Full of thinly veiled racism and dumb memes lifted from around conservative media like this one, this page could probably provide us a meme for every weekly edition of our countdown.
Yes, they actually considered Bush to have accomplished the mission in Iraq, but somehow President Obama failed. Let’s try to understand the logic here: if the mission was already accomplished, then how could President Obama fail a mission that was already completed? Unless perhaps they mean that Bush set out to destabilize an entire region and President Obama hasn’t managed to close the Pandora’s Box that his predecessor flipped open, doused in gasoline and set ablaze. Yeah, that has to be it.
Then again, these are folks that loudly claim the bad things that happened on Bush’s watch, like 9/11, are actually Clinton’s fault. However, anything bad that happens under Obama, including the economy and wars he inherited, aren’t Bush’s fault. The mental gymnastics that people who actually believe this stuff have to do must be mind-boggling.
And that’s it for this week. Join us next time for 5 more of the dumbest, most ridiculous conservative memes that we’ve found floating around social media. As always, remember that just because they put something on the internet, that doesn’t mean it’s true, or intelligent. Just ask all those Republican voters who live from paycheck to paycheck hoping for a little bit of those trickle-down economics they’ve been waiting for the last few decades.
Would you like to nominate a meme for me to debunk or feature in an upcoming list? Visit my Facebook page and leave me a message with a link to one you want to see addressed, you may just see it here. Thanks to all of the tips from our fans that help make writing this weekly column easier, and a lot of fun.
Latest posts by Manny Schewitz (see all)
- It Looks Inevitable, Donald Trump Will Eventually Be The Republican Nominee - January 17, 2016
- Donald Trump Is Now Using Ted Cruz’s Canadian Birth Against Him - January 14, 2016
- Hillary Clinton’s False Statements On Bernie Sanders’ Healthcare Record Are Disgraceful - January 14, 2016