During a discussion with a colleague of mine today I got reminded of all of the ridiculous things I’ve seen polls tell me that Americans actually believe. And while some of these polls might reveal that “only” 4% of voters believe that “lizard people” are trying to control society by gaining political power (no, that’s not a joke), that’s still tens of thousands of people. Essentially 4 out of every 100 American voters apparently believe that “lizard people” are trying to control society.
My colleague joked that poll results such as these are the reason why aliens would never communicate with us.
And he’s probably right. Let’s take a look at six of the most ridiculous poll results that I’ve run across from fairly reputable sources:
1. In the same poll I linked above, 22 percent of Mitt Romney voters actually believe that President Obama is the anti-Christ. And not in a hyperbolic sense – they actually believe he’s the anti-Christ.
2. Then there’s this poll I wrote about where one-third of Louisiana Republicans blamed President Obama for the response after Hurricane Katrina. So either one-third of Louisiana Republicans:
- Don’t know when Hurricane Katrina hit.
- Aren’t aware of who was president in 2005.
- Have no idea when President Obama was elected. -or-
- All of the above.
3. Let’s not forget about the poll that showed less than half of Mississippi Republicans would support the United States if our government were to fight the Confederacy once again. Because nothing says “we’re not a party filled with racists” quite like one of the most Republican states in the United States having over half of the conservatives living in it say they’d back the slavery-supporting Confederacy if it were still around.
4. Then there’s this poll conducted by the National Science Foundation that showed almost 1 in 4 Americans didn’t know the Earth revolves around the Sun. I really don’t even know what to say to that.
5. When it comes to President Obama, it seems nearly half of GOP voters (49%) believe that ACORN stole the 2012 election for the president. That’s a remarkable feat considering ACORN ceased to exist in 2010.
6. You thought the polling lunacy was just reserved for the United States? Oh, no. There’s this poll showing that in the three largest Muslim regions of our planet (Middle East, South Asia, Southeast Asia) an average of 53 percent of Muslims support executing someone for leaving Islam.
These poll results are bad enough, but when you add in other factors such as how little Fox News tells the truth or Republican politicians trying to get science banned in classrooms, it’s easy to believe that an advanced species would fly right past this planet.
But it’s okay, because if we ever have a zombie apocalypse, Sarah Palin thinks we’ll be ready.
It really is amazing to see how many advancements the human race has made as a species, despite the fact that there are still so many of us who are utterly and completely clueless.
Latest posts by Allen Clifton (see all)
- Former British PM Rips ‘Dangerous’ Trump, Mocks Him for Needing Russia’s Help to Get Elected - December 13, 2017
- The 5 Biggest Losers From the Embarrassing Roy Moore Debacle in Alabama - December 13, 2017
- Roy Moore Lost, but That Doesn’t Absolve Republicans From Supporting a Child Molester - December 13, 2017