I’m sure you have been subjected to the countless idiotic memes and the rants which usually boil down into a stew of paranoia and regurgitated right-wing talking points about how Obama is a tyrant, a dictator, etc. Our friends over at Ethical Reporters Against Faux News made this really great meme which completely refutes the whole argument that President Obama is using the office for unprecedented actions while taking away the freedoms of gun owners, and planning to execute armchair patriots or put their families in FEMA prison camps.
On these six occasions, a POTUS either signed legislation or issued executive orders which went far beyond anything President Obama has done.
6. The Whiskey Rebellion: In 1791, a number of settlers on the western frontier rebelled against a whiskey excise tax and a full-blown rebellion erupted in 1794. George Washington took soldiers and had that bit of foolishness put down.
After efforts of negotiators to try and calm the insurrection failed, President George Washington, acting upon the advice of Federalist Alexander Hamilton, decided to make an example of the rebels and rode to Western Pennsylvania with 13,000 militia troops to quash the rebellion. Washington accompanied the troops as far as Bedford, where he spent the night at the house of David Espy on October 18. The next day, he reviewed the assembled troops, issued orders to General Lee, and then started back to Philadelphia. This was to be the last time George Washington personally led troops on the field, and the only time he did so as President. (Source)
Until President Obama personally leads an entire division of the National Guard out to the Cliven Bundy squat on federal land and shoots a few of them, you can drop the whole “he’s an out of control dictator” shtick.
5. The Trail Of Tears: Andrew Jackson signed the Indian Removal Act in 1830 and in 1838/1839, forced the Cherokees off the lands granted to them under previous treaties. Nearly 4,000 died along the way to Oklahoma, a route now referred to as “The Trail Of Tears.”
4. Abraham Lincoln’s executive orders: Abraham Lincoln issued a number of executive orders which would be considered absolutely tyrannical if he was a modern sitting president, and a Democrat. He suspended habeas corpus, issued the Emancipation Proclamation, and also issued an order which called for the arrest and imprisonment of any newspaper editor publishing false information. The order also demanded the seizure and shut down of two publications (the New York World and Journal of Commerce) while sending the editor to a trial in front of a military tribunal. In other words, if Obama was issuing executive orders like Lincoln, Fox News, Glenn Beck and others would have been shut down and sent to Guantanamo Bay.
3. The Sedition Act: President Woodrow Wilson signed the Sedition Act in 1918 which would have put many of the right-wing blogs and other media sources out of business and had their owners prosecuted.
The Sedition Act of 1918, enacted during World War I, made it a crime to “willfully utter, print, write, or publish any disloyal, profane, scurrilous, or abusive language about the form of the Government of the United States” or to “willfully urge, incite, or advocate any curtailment of the production” of the things “necessary or essential to the prosecution of the war.” The act, along with other similar federal laws, was used to convict at least 877 people in 1919 and 1920, according to a report by the attorney general. In 1919, the Court heard several important free speech cases — including Debs v. United States and Abrams v. United States — involving the constitutionality of the law. In both cases, the Court upheld the convictions as well as the law. (Source)
If President Obama were indeed a tyrant, he could theoretically cite the War on Terror and issue a new executive order shutting down these individuals down for sedition. Again, until that happens, knock it off with the false comparisons.
2. President Hoover uses the Army against veterans and their families: In 1932, we were 3 years into the Great Depression. Out of work veterans and their families peacefully marched on Washington, demanding that Congress pay them a $500 bonus passed in 1924 but not scheduled to be paid out until 1945. After the Senate voted against a bill making the payment immediate, the protestors stuck around (much like Occupy Wall Street) until President Hoover ordered the Army to disperse them, resulting in numerous casualties and at least one death.
1. President Franklin Delano Roosevelt orders mass detention of Japanese-Americans: One of the most embarrassing things America has done in the past one hundred years was to intern over 110,000 Americans, simply because of their heritage, by order of the president.
On Feb. 19, 1942, Roosevelt signed Executive Order 9066, authorizing the military to remove anyone from any area of the country, if deemed necessary for national security. During the months that followed, more than 110,000 Japanese Americans were rounded up throughout California and shipped to internment camps in Arizona, Wyoming, Arkansas, and elsewhere.
Dear right-wing conservatives – while you have screamed bloody murder about him issuing executive orders giving equal rights to certain minorities and capping student loan payments because Congress refused to act, President Obama has actually issued the fewest executive orders of any president since Grover Cleveland. He also hasn’t used the military against US citizens, thrown the staff of Fox News in prison or taken away your guns. The fact that you can protest in Washington, that Ted Nugent isn’t dead or in jail and that you haven’t been executed for making treasonous comments is proof that President Obama is not the tyrannical dictator that you keep insisting that he is. If you do want to be taken seriously, I suggest you drop the bullshit alarmist statements, turn off right-wing radio and join the rest of us in the real world. America will continue to move forward, with or without you.
Latest posts by Manny Schewitz (see all)
- It Looks Inevitable, Donald Trump Will Eventually Be The Republican Nominee - January 17, 2016
- Donald Trump Is Now Using Ted Cruz’s Canadian Birth Against Him - January 14, 2016
- Hillary Clinton’s False Statements On Bernie Sanders’ Healthcare Record Are Disgraceful - January 14, 2016