A Fact About Trickle-Down Economics Republicans Really Don’t Want You to Think About

TrickleDownPretty much anyone who follows politics knows that the economic theory Republicans subscribe to is something called trickle-down economics, sometimes referred to as “Reaganomics” since Ronald Reagan is most responsible for unleashing this economic ideology on the United States.

Any mention of raising taxes or ending the gigantic scam of trickle-down economics causes Republicans to spin off into some angry rant about the end of American capitalism and the rise of socialism/communism/fascism in this country.  (They use the terms interchangeably because most of them don’t realize that they’re all different.)

You can throw unions in with this as well.  The thought that any organization would fight for the rights of the American worker — forcing companies to actually provide things like safe working conditions, benefits, health care and respectable pay — is “un-American” and “violates the principles of capitalism.”

Yet every time I hear one of these people spout this nonsense I can’t help but think to myself, “So, prior to 1980, were we living in a socialist/communist/fascist society?  Were presidents like Eisenhower, Truman, Kennedy and Nixon socialists/communists/fascists?”

However, the answers are simple — of course we weren’t and of course they weren’t.

But wait a minute, current Republicans claim that raising taxes and having strong unions violates the rules of capitalism!

Here’s a fun fact: Prior to 1980, before the true dawn of trickle-down economics, the United States was still a country with an economy driven by and based on capitalism.

Capitalism that thrived with much higher taxes and stronger unions.

See, trickle-down economics has nothing to do with capitalism.  It can be a part of capitalism, but it does not define capitalism in any way.  We were a capitalist country long before trickle-down economics was forced on Americans and we were much better off overall.

Trickle-down didn’t usher in capitalism into the United States, it just allowed 2% of Americans to screw over the other 98%.

This is a simple fact Republicans never mention and pretend doesn’t exist.  Go ahead, ask one of them, “If trickle-down economics is so vital for American growth, why did our country experience incredible growth long before anyone had ever heard of the scam of trickle-down economics?”

You’ll rarely get an answer.  And even if you do, it won’t make a whole lot of sense.

But to Republicans, they act as if trickle-down economics is what defines capitalism.  Any mention of going against this well-crafted con is met with horror stories of socialism or communism.  Yet, when they respond with such nonsense, are they trying to say that prior to 1980 we were a socialist or communist nation?

I doubt it.

It’s just a good thing for the Republican party that conservative voters prefer to be told what to think instead of doing it for themselves.

Allen Clifton

Allen Clifton is a native Texan who now lives in the Austin area. He has a degree in Political Science from Sam Houston State University. Allen is a co-founder of Forward Progressives and creator of the popular Right Off A Cliff column and Facebook page. Be sure to follow Allen on Twitter and Facebook, and subscribe to his channel on YouTube as well.

Comments

Facebook comments