On that note, I decided to throw together a few dates Republicans should know, since they seem confused about exactly when a lot of this stuff happened.
- George W. Bush was in office from January 20, 2001-January 20, 2009
- June 7, 2001 the “Bush Tax Cuts” were signed into law
- 2002 our nation records its first budget deficit in 4 years
- May 28, 2003 Bush signs into law a tax reduction policy which drastically reduces dividend and capital gains taxes
- In December 2007 the Great Recession starts
- September 2008 Lehman Brothers sinks, triggering a complete panic in the financial industry, deepening our recession
- October 3, 2008 the TARP (Wall Street) bailout is passed
- The country lost 3.47 million jobs from July 2008-January 2009
Then Obama took office
- February 2009 stimulus bill passed
- May 2009 national job losses reduced by more than 50%
- June 2009 the recession ends
- March 2010 the current streak of 37 consecutive months of private sector job growth begins
- May 2, 2011 President Obama orders the killing of Osama bin Laden
- 2011 Forbes reports a new record for number of billionaires (1210) and their combined net worth ($4.5 trillion)
- February 2012, 2 years after Obama’s auto bailout, General Motors announces record profits
- December 2012, corporations report record profits
- Spring 2013 the stock markets sets multiple new records
Now I know these aren’t all of the key dates, but it’s a good collection of facts Republicans seem to get a little confused with.
I can’t count how often I’ve heard some conservative say “tax cuts create jobs,” except they led us into our worst economic collapse in nearly a century.
How many times I’ve heard some right winger say “Republicans are fiscally conservative,” except it took Bush just one year to record our first budget deficit in 4 years.
Then the best one—they blame Obama for an economic collapse that began well before he ever became President.
So please, I encourage you to share this with your Republican friends. Maybe together we can help them better understand how calendars work.
But I won’t hold my breath.
Latest posts by Allen Clifton (see all)
- Trump’s Rhetoric on DACA is a Textbook Example of How He Treats His Supporters Like Idiots - March 23, 2018
- Chris Cuomo Has Perfect Response When Kellyanne Conway Once Again Brings Up Clinton (Video) - March 23, 2018
- Tapper Lays Out a Key Argument for Why Many Believe Trump’s Being Blackmailed by Russia (Video) - March 22, 2018