Has there ever been an individual who’s somehow gained such national notoriety for accomplishing absolutely nothing? I mean honestly, what the hell has she actually accomplished?
So she was governor of Alaska. Big deal. Alaska ranks 47th among the 50 states for population, totaling just about 731,000 people. Now I’m not knocking Alaska — it’s a gorgeous state — but I live in a city that has a population that nearly doubles that. Meaning the mayor of Dallas presides over more people than Sarah Palin did as governor.
Then she quit before her first term was over. Think about that for a moment; she couldn’t even handle one term as governor of a state that has less than 1 million people. And this is the woman who was a VP candidate and had aspirations to become president? Why, because she took a tour of the White House once?
In less than one year after she became nationally famous, and faced true national scrutiny, she quit her duties as governor of Alaska.
Yet there she is, constantly in the headlines. And I don’t mean to give her any more attention than she already gets, but I just felt the need to vent about this woman a little bit, so please forgive me.
This woman is an idiot—period. There’s simply no “kind” way to put it. She’s a moron. What she has for her is looks (she is an attractive woman) and charisma that speaks to specific group of people—but that’s it.
She seems utterly delusional about the world around her, and seems to constantly stroll through life with an ethnocentric view of society.
Let’s be honest—the only reason McCain picked her in 2008 to be his VP candidate was because he knew he was headed for a defeat against Obama, and he hoped she would secure his conservative base and possibly pull some of the female vote over to his side. And while she did energize the conservative base, she also managed to drive independents away from the Republican Party.
But let’s look at rundown of some of the asinine comments and events that have surrounded Sarah Palin:
- Had notes written on her hand when she spoke at a Tea Party convention.
- Couldn’t name a single newspaper (USA Today, New York Times, Washington Post—none of them) during an interview with Katie Couric.
- Couldn’t name a Supreme Court decision she disagreed with besides Roe v. Wade.
- Cancelled a tour, almost as soon as it began, where she would “speak about American history” across the country when she was caught numerous times botching, or flat out lying, about events that happened in American history.
- Admitted she used to take her family to Canada for health care.
- Said her being governor of a state with close proximity to Russia gave her foreign policy experience.
- Claimed that the BP oil spill was caused by environmental advocates which lobby to prevent oil from being drilled onshore and in shallower areas.
- Said it was quite clear that our Founding Fathers meant that we would create laws based on God, the Bible and the Ten Commandments.
- Defended radio talk show host Dr. Laura Schlessinger by telling her not to “retreat, but reload” on twitter when Ms. Schlessinger “retired” after using the N-word 11 times in 5 minutes on her show.
- Has criticized the press for negative comments about her—then has often attacked others for what she sees as an attack on our First Amendment (which includes freedom of the press).
- Has publicly slammed liberals who use the word “retard” but excuses conservatives who use the word.
- Claimed, in regards to her ethics investigations while governor of Alaska, “I think on a national level your department of law there in the White House would look at some of the things that we’ve been charged with and automatically throw them out.” There is no Department of Law on a national level.
- She criticized quitters while giving her resignation speech as governor or Alaska.
- Brought a Big Gulp as a prop to show off during her CPAC speech.
I’m going to just stop there, though there are many more.
And who the heck taught her to use Twitter? This woman puts the “twit” in Twitter. She frequently uses the social media site to attack others, most frequently President Obama.
Who recalls right after the White House Correspondents Dinner her attack via Twitter aimed at those who attended? The exact Tweet was:
“That #WHCD was pathetic. The rest of America is out there working our asses off while these DC assclowns throw themselves a #nerdprom.”
First, when Palin wrote this, she didn’t have a job—so how exactly is a woman who had recently been let go by Fox News “working her ass off?” Even when she did “work” she’s out giving speeches where she’s grossly over paid, or television appearances where she simply spouts off answers to softball questions by right-wing media sources—because she doesn’t do interviews with the “lamestream media.”
And a quick history lesson on the White House Correspondents Dinner; it’s existed since 1920 and has been attended by almost every single president since, and I promise you if she were president (a terrifying thought) she would have been there. #JealousTroll
But now she’s back on Fox News, and has once again taken up with attacking the “lamestream media.” Which I always find ironic considering she is employed by Fox News—a channel which often brags about being “America’s most watched cable news.” Wouldn’t being the “most watched” define being part of the “mainstream media?”
This woman epitomizes ignorance. Someone who’s clearly an idiot, but thinks they’re some kind of intellectual. The only people who can stand her are those on the far right, and even many of them only like her as a conservative personality—but don’t want her anywhere near the White House.
She’s made a fortune off exploiting the ignorance of her party’s base and attacking liberals by making outlandish claims. The fact-checking organization Politifact has concluded that 52% of the comments they’ve investigated from Sarah Palin have been lies.
Even her on again/off again relationship with Fox News shows that Republicans sometimes wish she would just go away. Fox News seems to understand that she has value on some level to pander to the far right reaches of the political party they help support, but they also realize that if you give her too much exposure she has the potential to sink the whole conservative movement with her ridiculous comments.
Personally, as much disdain as I have for this woman, I can’t help but love that she’s back in the spotlight. Her brand of crazy is exactly what Democrats need on full display heading into the 2014 elections.
While she might only appeal to the furthermost parts of the Republican Party, her national notoriety and public stature catapult her to be one of the leading faces of the party.
And as much as I wish I could ship this woman off to live on her own island of crazy with the rest of the lunatics she appeals to, I have to remember that her being the face of the GOP is a great thing for liberals.
It’s just really damn hard to stomach sometimes.
Latest posts by Allen Clifton (see all)
- Rick Wilson Excoriates Trump Supporter: ‘Don’t You Dare Talk About Respect’ (Video) - March 17, 2018
- Everything Facebook’s Doing to Combat Fake News is Only Making the Problem Worse - March 16, 2018
- Fox News’ The Five Advocates Committing War Crimes, Denies Waterboarding is Torture (Video) - March 15, 2018