In case you haven’t heard, there’s currently a push within the state of Oklahoma to pull funding from AP History and essentially end the program in the state’s public school system. The “controversy” stems from some Republican lawmakers claiming that the course paints the United States in a negative light. Essentially, because it doesn’t whitewash our nation’s checkered past, many conservatives are quite appalled at what’s being taught.
It seems Oklahoma Republicans want history classes to teach the legends of American history instead of what, you know, actually happened.
Though I’ve argued that this is all just a part of a much larger scheme by Republicans to try to change what “facts” are in this country by attacking the information that we teach our children. If they can omit certain parts of history that they oppose, while adding bias and misleading “facts” that the GOP supports, they can essentially change the narrative of what future generations deem as “historical facts” going forward in this country.
For them, it’s all about pushing their right-wing propaganda rather than actually dealing in reality and facts. But that shouldn’t really be a surprise, because that’s essentially the foundation on which the entire Republican party is built.
Well, it seems this “plan” is not going at all how Republicans had hoped. In fact, it’s possibly headed toward massive disaster as students and parents have overwhelmingly come out against the state’s attempts to remove AP History from public schools.
According to News9 in Oklahoma, in a poll conducted of 6,627 parents and students at a meeting in Norman:
- 96 percent indicated that the Legislature should not make any AP courses illegal
- 99 percent indicated they understood that AP courses were a choice/elective that often results in college credit but which are not required of any student
- 95 percent indicated they would be “angry/disappointed” if the Legislature proceeds in making any AP courses illegal
- 77 percent believed the Legislature should have no oversight of the courses local districts offer
Actually to call that “overwhelming” is a bit of an understatement – that’s essentially unanimous. To see numbers like that from any kind of poll is astonishing.
This whole thing is absolutely absurd. This is nothing more than Republicans trying to change and alter history for their own partisan benefits. It’s just another ignorant right-wing attack on facts and education because neither usually support the rhetoric the GOP is constantly spewing.
And it’s clear this is not what the people of Oklahoma want. AP History is not mandatory anywhere in this country. Parents and students are free to choose to enroll in these classes on their own so the information being taught in the course isn’t being forced on anyone. And just like with anything else, these students are simply being given information that they can then process and interpret however they like.
Which is how education is supposed to work.
But as we all know, this isn’t about education. It’s about Republicans doing what they can to change history with the hopes that by doing so they can alter the future.
Latest posts by Allen Clifton (see all)
- Ex-Breitbart Staffer Rips GOP for Claiming to Care About Children While Supporting Roy Moore (Video) - December 11, 2017
- Donald Trump and Roy Moore Epitomize Everything Wrong With the Republican Party - December 11, 2017
- Dear Trump Supporters: When You Keep Denying Reality, Of Course Everything Seems ‘Liberally Biased’ - December 10, 2017