Not too long ago I had a fairly decent conversation with a Republican friend of mine who admitted that he’s not sure if he still qualifies to call himself a “Republican” anymore. His exact words to me were words I’ve heard said by many other sane Republicans: “I don’t recognize my party anymore.”
To be honest, I don’t either. While I’ve never been a Republican, I have grown up in the very “red” state of Texas and I’ve seen the deterioration of the GOP firsthand. Just over twenty years ago this state elected Ann Richards, a female Democrat as governor. Now we have Greg Abbott, someone who ordered the Texas Guard to monitor the U.S. military over “concerns” that they might be part of an “Obama invasion” to confiscate guns in Texas.
What the hell happened?
It seems like a lifetime ago Democrats thought George W. Bush was “too preachy” as a president. Now it’s commonplace among Republicans to essentially say the Bible trumps our Constitution. Just a few months ago, John Boehner was more or less forced out as Speaker of the House for not being “conservative enough.” Someone who was once considered one of the most conservative members of Congress.
We’ve gone far past the days of simple disagreements and political gamesmanship to a political party that’s mostly driven by fear-mongering, lies and blatant propaganda.
That’s a point Bill Maher tore into on Friday night when he said Republicans have gone beyond simple lying to “just making sh*t up.”
“In a very short time, Republicans have gone beyond even the ‘zombie lie’ to just making sh*t up,” Maher quipped.
The term “zombie lie” being a reference back to last summer when he talked about GOP lies that had been soundly debunked, but seem to never die no matter how much truth is used against them.
Maher then ran through a few of these blatant fabrications: Ted Cruz saying that the federal government was trying to force boys to shower with little girls; Carly Fiorina’s assertion that she watched Planned Parenthood videos depicting the “harvesting” of a fully formed fetus; and Donald Trump’s insistence that he saw thousands of American Muslims celebrating on 9/11 – three claims that aren’t based on even a shred of truth.
The Real Time host went on to say that the reason why Republicans can get away with such blatant lies, is because their “fans don’t care.”
And he’s absolutely right. Donald Trump’s rise to the top of the GOP presidential race is living proof of that. He’s managed to become the overwhelming frontrunner for the Republican party’s presidential nomination… yet practically nothing he says is true. Even if you show his supporters indisputable facts showing that he lied, it doesn’t matter. They don’t care.
Republicans are a group of people who believe:
- President Obama is a Muslim.
- “Obamacare” is a job killer.
- The economy is worse now than in 2008.
- Benghazi was some elaborate coverup and a Michael Bay movie proves that it is.
- President Obama isn’t an American citizen.
- Guns have nothing to do with gun violence.
- Climate change is a massive liberal hoax.
- The party that elected the nation’s first black president is racist against African-Americans…yet their party, a party with only three African-Americans representing their party in Congress despite holding majorities in both the House and the Senate, is not-at-all racist.
- President Obama is planning to confiscate guns.
They believe all of that (and more) despite the fact that literally none of it is true. And it doesn’t matter how much evidence you use to prove that everything I just listed isn’t true, it won’t faze them one bit.
Because the truth is, Republicans now treat their politics like they do their faith: It isn’t about what’s true, or even provable, it’s just about what they want to believe.
Watch the segment below via HBO:
Latest posts by Allen Clifton (see all)
- Dear Donald Trump: It’s Absolutely None of Your Damn Business What the NFL Does - October 19, 2017
- Bill O’Reilly Tries Trolling Jake Tapper On Twitter, Gets Crushed by the CNN Host - October 19, 2017
- Here’s an Appalling List of All the Times Trump’s Disrespected Our Military and Veterans - October 18, 2017