When Hillary Clinton called “half” of Donald Trump supporters “deplorable,” she was actually being rather generous. While the comment didn’t play well politically, that didn’t make it any less true. Aside from the fact that he is supported by racists, bigots, homophobes, Islamophobes, sexists, and basically every bottom-feeder in this country, his behavior alone should have been more than enough for any patriot, proud American or true Christian to view him as someone who isn’t fit to lead this nation.
How can anyone call themselves a “patriot” who respects and honors our veterans based on Trump’s comments?
Forget political ideologies for a moment, this is someone who is so petty that Trump belittled the war record of a legitimate American hero, Sen. John McCain, because he didn’t support him. Spin that however you want — that’s just a fact. But when he mocked McCain, he didn’t just go after the Arizona senator personally, he basically mocked all POWS by saying he “likes people who weren’t captured.” It takes a special kind of scumbag to even say something like that. There were a number of ways he could have criticized McCain, but he chose to attack his record as an American hero who fought and defended this country.
Then there’s the fact that because Trump couldn’t force Megyn Kelly off of a Fox News presidential debate, he used veterans as a shield. It takes a special kind of spineless coward to hide behind raising money for veterans (money he spent months lying about) to protect yourself from the fact that you were too scared to face a moderator for an upcoming debate.
But even that wasn’t all.
We can’t forget that he lashed out at Gold Star parents of another American hero because they dared to say something negative about him. Again, instead of simply letting it go because it wasn’t worth saying anything, he couldn’t help himself. His ego is so fragile, and his respect for these parents who lost their son was so lacking, that he couldn’t help but respond.
Most mature adults who had respect for the military, our veterans, and their families would have taken what’s known to rational people as “the high road.” Not Donald Trump.
Then there’s always the fact that he seems more than willing to equate the United States with a brutal tyrant who murders political rivals and journalists like Russian President Vladimir Putin, but he damn sure won’t say anything negative about the country that pulled off a cyber attack against us. Though he seems to have absolutely no problem bashing our Third Branch of government and our intelligence agencies.
I’m not sure how someone can call themselves a “proud American” or “patriot” while supporting someone who defends an enemy who attacked us, while bashing the intelligence gathered from people who risk their lives to defend this country because they’re not telling him what he wants to hear.
Hell, he even turned a speech in front of a monument at the CIA dedicated to those who died defending this country into a petty rant about himself.
Last, but not least, there’s this absurd notion that someone can be an actual Christian, yet still support Donald Trump.
I’m sorry, but there’s not a damn thing Christian about Trump.
- Tries to bully those he feels stronger than.
- Pettily attacks practically anyone who’s critical of him.
- Calls people childish names.
- Mocked a man with disabilities.
- Constantly brags about his wealth.
- Refuses to prove how much he’s donated to charity.
- Has had at least one affair.
- Bragged about being a sexual predator.
- Lies faster than people can fact check him.
- Said he was open to killing the families of terrorists.
- Has vilified Muslims and immigrants.
- Has pledged to rip apart families with his “deportation raids.”
- Tried to exploit the death of an African American woman in Chicago.
- Has used blatant racism against a federal judge.
- Encouraged people to seek out a non-existent sex tape of a former Miss Universe because she dared to criticize him.
- Is a blatant sexist who insinuated that the wife of his top political opponent wasn’t attractive.
- Hired Roger Ailes, a man who had just been fired from a job for multiple accounts of sexual harassment of female employees.
- Spent eight years pushing the blatant racist conspiracy that President Obama wasn’t an American citizen.
I could easily add more, but I think I’ve made my point — there’s nothing Christian about this man.
The whole point of being a Christian is to do your best to live your life according to the beliefs and teachings of Jesus Christ. A man who, whether or not you believe he was real, represents love, acceptance, compassion, giving, and hope — which are values that Trump doesn’t remotely represent. In fact, he’s basically the antitheses of every single one of them.
There’s absolutely no way you can claim you’re a patriot, a proud American, or a Christian while supporting someone like Donald Trump. This is a man who’s blatantly disrespected veterans, used them to hide his cowardice, and doesn’t display a single shred of true Christian values in almost anything that he does.
Thankfully I’m confident that history is going to look back on him, and those who supported him, with shame and embarrassment that people were ignorant enough to fall for such an obvious and blatant con man.
Latest posts by Allen Clifton (see all)
- 5 Sad Reasons Why It’s Pointless to Try to Reason with Trump Supporters - September 17, 2017
- Addressing Bernie Sanders’ Recent Comments About the State of the Democratic Party - September 17, 2017
- CBO Report Confirms My Biggest Fear About Trump’s Sabotage of Obamacare - September 17, 2017