When it comes to calling out the many ridiculous hypocrites and contradictions of the current administration, CNN’s Jake Tapper has been a leading figure in the mainstream media tackling the chaos we’ve been experiencing over the last several months.
He’s repeatedly dismantled the Republican Party for being absolutely spineless when it comes to holding Trump accountable for anything he says or does. The latest example came on Friday, after Trump publicly threatened the former head of the FBI James Comey.
“If Republican lawmakers don’t do anything about this, you know, I don’t see any repercussions, necessarily,” Tapper stated. ”I mean, the reason we have a Legislative Branch is to serve, among other reasons, is to serve as a check on the Executive Branch and the same thing with the Judicial Branch. But if one of those branches declines to do its job, I don’t know that President Trump being his own worst enemy, necessarily, means anything.”
This is one of the main things I’ve said makes Trump so incredibly dangerous. It’s not just his general instability and what many feel are some serious mental health issues, it’s that neither his party nor his supporters hold him accountable for anything he says or does. As Tapper perfectly stated, if congressional Republicans won’t put a “check” on his behavior, even after he publicly threatened the former head of the FBI, then none of this matters all that much.
For a while now I’ve considered the GOP “domestic terrorists.” They’re a group of people who have put party over country almost every single time they’ve been given the opportunity. There are so many things Trump has said or done that they would never… ever let a Democrat get away with. And their behavior has gone well beyond the typical partisan hypocrisy you’ll get from both sides. This is the party that:
- Spent years “investigating” Benghazi.
- Wanted to spend years investigating Hillary Clinton’s emails.
- Frequently attacked Barack Obama for playing golf.
- Said presidents who try to legislate via executive orders were unconstitutional.
- Demanded Barack Obama get congressional approval before launching air strikes against Syria in response to a chemical weapons attack.
- Often claimed Barack Obama was anti-American and putting the country in danger because he wouldn’t refer to our enemies specifically as “radical Islamic terrorists.”
That same party, just a short time later:
- Has resisted or downplayed calls to hold extensive congressional investigations into Trump’s potential ties with Russia.
- Doesn’t think Trump’s tax returns are important.
- Seems perfectly fine with Trump spending about half of his weekends in office flying to his Mar-a-Lago resort to play golf.
- Is perfectly fine with Trump sitting behind a desk signing one executive order after another.
- Didn’t care that Trump ordered an airstrike against Syria in response to a chemical weapons attack without getting approval from Congress beforehand.
- Has backed and defended a man who’s praised Russia, attacked U.S. intelligence officials who cited the Russian government as the enemy who attacked us during our election, and still refuses to truly condemn a nation that’s clearly not our ally.
That’s a tiny sample of the seemingly endless hypocrisy from Republicans.
Jake Tapper hit on exactly what’s so terrifying about our current situation. Right now we’re living in a country where the Executive Branch is trying to undermine and obstruct the Judicial Branch while the party that controls the majority in the Legislative Branch refuses to do their job and hold this “president” accountable for anything.
My main hope is that when the 2018 elections roll around, voters get out and make the GOP pay for helping Donald Trump to turn this country into an international joke and allowing him to get away with comments and behavior many feel are both unconstitutional and illegal.
Watch his comments below via CNN:
Latest posts by Allen Clifton (see all)
- Trumpsters Won’t Like What a CNN Analyst Said About Trump’s Treatment of Women (Video) - November 22, 2017
- Explaining What ‘Merry Christmas’ Really Means To Trump and His Supporters - November 22, 2017
- Pastor’s Defense of Roy Moore Preying on the ‘Purity’ of Young Girls is Unbelievable (Audio) - November 21, 2017