If there’s one thing I’ve learned following Donald Trump and those who support him during the 2016 election, it’s to expect the unexpected and never think they can’t go any lower than they already have. While the comments are still repulsive, calling most Mexican immigrants “rapists and criminals” seems tame in comparison to everything Trump has said and done throughout his campaign.
I’ve been very open about my belief that Trump’s rise within the GOP will be one of those moments we look back on with shame and embarrassment that we ever allowed this to happen.
Clearly, the millions of Americans supporting him don’t believe that. After all, they think Trump is the only person who can “save America.” Because, you know, that’s not-at-all completely and totally ridiculous to believe.
Well, a few weeks ago Hillary Clinton gave a speech where she said that “half” of Trump’s supporters were irredeemable and deplorable. While those two words were what his campaign used to spin their anti-Clinton propaganda, she actually identified exactly who she was talking about: racists, bigots, sexists, homophobes, Islamophobes, xenophobes. So it’s not as if she was saying in a general sense that simply being a Trump supporter makes someone “irredeemable” or “deplorable” — she had specific types of people supporting him who fit into those categories.
While she quickly apologized for her comments, statistical facts actually prove that she was right. In fact, if you want to be totally honest about it — using those statistical facts — “half” is understating the problem.
Being that she’s a politician, and what she said didn’t play well politically, she apologized. Though I found it a bit ironic that people who claim to be so “anti-political correctness” threw such a hissy fit when Clinton said something that wasn’t quite “PC.”
However, a lot has happened since she made that comment.
Since then Donald Trump:
- Spent a week attacking Alicia Machado, including calling her fat, disgusting and trying to slander her by tweeting to his millions of Twitter followers that they should find her sex tape — that doesn’t exist.
- Had a video released where he admitted that he enjoys sexually assaulting women, bragging about “grabbing them by the p–sy.”
- In that same video he also admits that he tried to cheat on his current wife — with another married woman.
- Made an excuse for his vile comments as “locker room talk,” because according to him all men talk this way.
- Held a “press conference” with four women who’ve accused Bill Clinton of sexual misconduct, then brought them to the second debate.
- Said at the second debate that, if elected, he would use his power to put Hillary Clinton in jail — which is unconstitutional.
- Literally called Clinton “the devil.”
- Been accused of sexual harassment/assault by a growing list of women, who he claims are all liars.
- Had another video released where he saw a 10-year-old girl at a mall and bragged he was going to “date her in 10 years.”
- Had audio recordings discovered where he agreed that his daughter is a “nice piece of ass.”
- Has threatened to sue The New York Times and People for reporting on these sexual allegations being made against him.
- Admitted that The New York Times report accusing him of not paying taxes for nearly two decades was true.
- Said one of the women accusing him of sexual assault is clearly lying because she’s not attractive enough for him to have attacked.
Keep in mind, this has all happened in just the last couple of weeks.
Yet, despite all of that — and everything else he’s done during his campaign — the overwhelming majority of his supporters couldn’t care less. In fact, many have gone out of their way to make excuses for him. Hell, there are even pictures of women wearing shirts saying Trump has permission to “grab them by the p–sy.” Because, you know, sexual assault is definitely a topic that should be joked about.
As I said a few days ago, at this point if you’re still supporting Donald Trump, you’ve firmly cemented your place within a shameful moment in our history.
Trump’s supporters seem content with aggressively defending a self-admitted sexual predator who has now been accused of sexually assaulting multiple women. By doing so, they’ve proven that Hillary Clinton was right when she called a good chunk of them “deplorable” and “irredeemable.”
After everything we’ve seen, heard and now know about Trump (though most of us have already figured he was this type of person for years), if you’re still supporting him, you are an absolutely deplorable human being and an embarrassment to this country.
The only part Clinton was wrong about was the percentage of supporters who fit into the “deplorable” category — because it’s a hell of a lot more than just “half.”