While there’s almost no shortage of things about which I can criticize the Republican party, one area that I don’t hesitate to admit that they’re masters of is propaganda. If Fox News says it, you can damn sure bet conservatives all over this country will be parroting it within 24-48 hours. Words and phrases repeated over and over and over until they’re etched in the minds of nearly every conservative in this country. They don’t even have to make any sense. They just have to sound good.
So, I thought I would have a little fun and “decode” several of these commonly used terms and phrases often used by Republicans when pushing their propaganda. I’ll put the word or phrase they say and what they really mean when they say it.
Let’s get started.
1) Job Creators: Rich people. (Because apparently if you’re wealthy, you create jobs. Even if you don’t own a business of any kind.)
2) Tax Cuts: Bribing middle class Americans with $50 more per month in their paychecks so they won’t notice these cuts are really about Republicans giving the top 2 percent of Americans thousands back. In the meantime, middle class Americans really don’t save money, because they get screwed over when programs they benefit from endure massive cuts to pay for the revenue lost because of those very same tax cuts.
3) Traditional Marriage: A term used by people who aren’t aware that marriage is not based on Christianity and who seem unaware that divorce has been “ruining traditional marriage” for decades.
4) People Who Just Want a Handout From the Government: This is code used by conservatives to say black people and minorities are stealing your money because they don’t want to work. Meanwhile, the millions of white conservatives who rely on these same programs are “good, upstanding Americans who just fell on hard times and earned these benefits.”
5) Climate Change is a Hoax: We’re nothing more than puppets for big oil.
6) Drill Baby Drill: Said by someone who’s also a sellout for big oil and/or doesn’t understand how the price of oil is set or sold on the global market.
7) Pro-life: Someone who values the life of a fetus – until it’s born.
8) We Need to get Back to Traditional American Values: People who aren’t straight, white Christian males are getting entirely too many rights in this country.
9) Never Trust the Mainstream Media: Don’t trust anyone who debunks the misinformation, lies and propaganda being pushed by Fox News. Fun fact: Fox News brags about being “America’s most watched cable news channel.” So, wouldn’t that make them the “leaders” of the mainstream media? Just saying…
10) President Obama is an anti-American/Socialist/Communist/Muslim/anti-Christ/Fascist/non-American citizen dictator who hates our Constitution and Wants to Destroy the United States: He’s black.
I could keep going, but I’ll stop there. I would encourage everyone reading this to spread it around, then sit back and enjoy the reaction by any Republican who happens to read it. Because I can guarantee you it will be quite entertaining.
If you have any other suggestions, hit me up on Twitter and maybe I’ll include them if I ever do a “second edition.”