Republicans are nothing if not consistent. They often gather a handful of talking points and simply repeat them over and over until nearly every one of their voters can recite them in their sleep. Basically, it’s a form of brainwashing.
Oh, I’m wrong? Let’s try a few of the terms they use all the time:
- Obamacare (the Affordable Care Act)
- Drill baby drill (proving they don’t know how oil is traded on the global market)
- Job creators (anyone who’s rich)
- Tax cuts create jobs (ignoring the fact that demand actually creates jobs)
- Pro-life (only before the baby is born and let’s not forget about their staunch pro-death penalty stance)
- Socialist (anytime someone dares to mention something good the government can do)
- Communist (because most don’t understand communism and socialism are actually different)
- Fascist (see above)
- The Moral Majority (they base this solely on their anti-abortion stance and their opposition to homosexuals)
- Constitutional values (until the Constitution doesn’t support their beliefs, then they often talk of secession)
- Proud patriot (by advocating the violent overthrow of our government any time they don’t get their way)
I’ll stop there. I could have gone on for probably 3-4 pages, but you get the idea.
But the one I’ve heard lately from many of these Republicans that’s driven me insane is “we’re listening to the American people.” What complete and total garbage.
Let’s look at just four major issues Republicans have opposed that the vast majority of Americans wanted.
1) Expanded background checks for gun purchases
Depending on which poll you saw, somewhere between 80-90% of Americans (an unheard of statistic in American politics) supported expanding background checks to all gun purchases.
But guess what? Republicans in Congress killed any notion of that happening. Tell me again how they’re “listening to the American people” when at least 80% of Americans supported something, and yet they still refused to pass it?
2) Immigration reform
Here’s another one from that same article I linked above. About 69% of Americans (again, an extremely high percentage for American politics) favored sensible immigration reform much like what the Senate passed a few months ago.
Oh, but guess what? House Republicans killed that. In fact, they simply refuse to even bring it up for a vote—because it would pass. Again, they’re really “listening” to the American people.
3) The government shutdown
A poll released just after the shutdown began showed that 72% of Americans opposed shutting down the federal government to try to block “Obamacare.” Noticing a trend here? Not only are these issues supported by the majority of Americans, they’re overwhelmingly supported by them.
But as we all know, the government was shut down for 16 days by House Republicans.
4) Raising the minimum wage
Gallup released a new poll showing that 76% of Americans support raising the minimum wage to $9.00. Not only is this number extremely high, but it’s up 5% from March.
But, you guessed it, Republicans oppose any mention of raising the minimum wage. Hell, many Republicans oppose the minimum wage altogether.
Exactly how is any of this “listening to the American people?” These are four huge issues that have overwhelming American support that Republicans have refused to do a damn thing about—well, except the exact opposite of what most Americans want.
I would encourage everyone reading this to share it with any Republicans you know. Show it to them and then ask, “Exactly how are Republicans listening to the American people?”
Because going by these major issues, they’re listening to someone — it just sure as hell isn’t the majority of Americans.
Latest posts by Allen Clifton (see all)
- NBA’s Gregg Popovich Rips Into ‘Soulless Coward’ Trump’s Disrespect for Slain Soldiers - October 16, 2017
- On Monday, Trump Continued His Appalling Pattern of Disrespect Toward Our Country and Military - October 16, 2017
- Fox News’ Latest Desperate Attack on Hillary Clinton Reaches a New Low - October 16, 2017