Every once in a while Fox News is forced to report something factual, such as the monthly jobs reports. While their on-air personalities might alter how they report on these jobs numbers based on who’s in office (the very numbers they once tried to downplay and criticize during Barack Obama’s presidency they now use to brag about Donald Trump), the numbers are the numbers no matter how America’s most-watched conservative entertainment network wants to spin them.
Well, on Friday, the Bureau of Labor Statistics released the final jobs report for 2017. While December was solid at 148,000 jobs, that number was still below expectations.
However, what December’s numbers allow us to do is look at the entire year to assess how things went in 2017. So, what did Fox News discover after running the 2017 numbers? That Trump’s first year in office was the worst for job growth since 2010.
Here’s the tweet they sent out:
Average Monthly #Job Gains
— Fox News Research (@FoxNewsResearch) January 5, 2018
So much for Trump being the “jobs president.”
These numbers tell us a few things:
- If Trump’s had any impact on jobs, it’s been negative, not positive.
- We created just over 200k more jobs during Obama’s last year in office than we did during Trump’s first, despite this “president” and the GOP constantly saying what a “disaster” the economy was during his presidency.
- The years Trump, Fox News, and the GOP spent saying the economy was a “disaster under Obama” were clearly all b.s.
- All the deregulations he signed (which is about all he did economically) had no actual positive impact on job growth.
- Even with anticipation of the GOP passing their massive tax breaks for the wealthy and big corporations, these “job creators” still didn’t massively ramp-up hiring.
- Trump’s first year in office will go down as the worst for jobs since our economy first began its recovery following the Great Recession.
- The vast majority of Trump’s “economic success” is nothing more than a carry-over from the economic growth we saw for most of Obama’s eight years in office.
Though I will definitely use these numbers to remind Trump supporters as often as I can that Obama’s last year in office was better for jobs than Trump’s first.
While I’m certain Trump and the White House will try to spin this, if they even comment on it at all, the facts are facts. Donald Trump’s first year in office is the worst this country has seen as far as job growth since 2010.
As I’ve said a few times here recently, Trump’s “biggest accomplishment” seems to be bragging about economic numbers given to him by his predecessor.
Then again, Donald Trump trying to take credit for something he had nothing to do with — while never accepting blame for anything — is nothing new. That’s exactly who he is, has been, and always will be.
He’s nothing but a con man, a fraud, and a coward.
Latest posts by Allen Clifton (see all)
- To Those Blaming Democrats for the Government Shutdown: You’re Out of Your Damn Minds - January 21, 2018
- Not a Joke: GOP Rep. Tries to Blame Government Shutdown on Barack Obama (Video) - January 21, 2018
- 5 Things the Government Shutdown Proves About Donald Trump and the Republican Party - January 21, 2018