While we all agree that the attack on our embassy in Benghazi back in 2012 was a tragedy, I’m not sure if any rational person thought that, nearly four years later, there would still be ongoing investigations concerning what happened that evening. Especially considering we’ve already had several investigations that have outlined to us what happened, all concluding that, while tragic, the attack itself was unlikely preventable.
We’ve known all of this – for years.
About a year and a half ago, a Republican-led investigation concluded that the absurd conspiracies and lies conservatives had been pushing about the attack for years were unfounded. Naturally, this meant that Republicans would simply order another investigation.
Well, a few days ago a story broke about a former three-star general specifically picked by Republicans to look into the “investigation” concluding that, like we’ve already known, there’s likely nothing that could have been done to prevent the attack.
Now comes the news that Republican Benghazi Committee Chair Trey Gowdy essentially admitted that this whole investigation was a giant waste of time and money.
There was nothing the military could have done on the night of Sept. 11, 2012, to stop the attacks in Benghazi, Libya, but the special House committee investigating the terrorist incident will continue to probe the Pentagon’s actions that night, the committee’s chairman said Tuesday.
“Whether or not they could have gotten there in time, I don’t think there is any issue with respect to that. They couldn’t,” Rep. Trey Gowdy, R-S.C., told Fox News.
That concurs with previous congressional investigations that concluded the military could not have responded quickly enough to stop the 2012 attack on U.S. facilities in Benghazi that killed four Americans, including Ambassador Christopher Stevens.
As the article says, Gowdy’s comment “concurs with previous congressional investigations.” Meaning that all of these investigations, and literally millions of dollars of taxpayer money – were wasted on absolutely nothing but a partisan witch hunt exploiting a tragedy.
This is why I’ve been saying for years that we need to hold hearings to investigate Republicans over this whole circus. When your party repeatedly orders investigations that continued to produce the same results, I think that party needs to be investigated for wasting that much time and money on pure nonsense.
Those of us who are rational know exactly what this has all been about: Keeping Benghazi around long enough, hoping they could use it against Hillary Clinton this presidential election.
They sure didn’t do a very good job of that last October.
And it won’t matter that, once again, they failed to produce any evidence to support any number of the asinine conspiracies the right has been pushing about this for years – the damage has already been done. Most Republican voters, no matter what the facts say, already believe Clinton is a “murderer” based on this widely debunked right-wing propaganda that’s been supported by the GOP continuing these investigations for nearly four years.
So I think once all of this is finally settled, we need some sort of committee established to investigate the Republican party so that we can look through their emails, memos and other forms of correspondence to find out what these folks were really saying behind closed doors – and have them answer for the fact that they’ve wasted millions of dollars on exploiting a tragedy for partisan political gain.
Latest posts by Allen Clifton (see all)
- John Kelly Has Disgraced Himself, this Country and Our Military - October 21, 2017
- New Disgusting Report Exposes Fox News as the ‘Harvey Weinstein’ of Cable News - October 21, 2017
- For the Second Time, Trump Accuses Family of Fallen Hero Sgt. La David Johnson of Lying - October 20, 2017