While Donald Trump makes most of the headlines nowadays, I’ve spent the last few months reminding folks to remember that, even though he’s absolutely terrible, there are plenty of other Republicans who are just as bad, and maybe even worse.
One of my biggest concerns with the rise of Trump was that his special blend of vile, unhinged insanity would become “normal,” while the Republican party got ignored because most of their despicable behavior wasn’t quite as outlandish as the current “president’s” disgusting words and actions.
Unfortunately, that seems to have happened a little bit. Not so much because Trump’s behavior is becoming “the new normal,” it just seems that many are so fixated on this raging dumpster fire of an administration (and rightfully so) that it doesn’t leave much time to focus on other Republicans for their disgusting behavior and comments.
In the spirit of trying to remind everyone that Trump’s not the only horrible Republican in Washington (he might not even be the worst one), I thought I’d list five Republicans who I feel are just as bad, if not worse, than the current “president.”
For the sake of this article, I’m only going to list currently elected Republicans in Congress. I know there are plenty of local and state-level Republicans who are terrible as well, many of which I’ve highlighted in the past, such as Maine Governor Paul LePage and Idaho State Rep. Bryan Zollinger among others.
So, in no particular order, here we go.
1. Paul Ryan: This one’s easy. I can respect someone with whom I disagree with. However, what I won’t do is show respect to a sniveling coward who clearly can’t stand Trump, and knows he’s completely unfit for office, but is too weak to stand up to him for the best interests of the country. This is who Ryan’s been his entire political career. He’s an Ayn Rand-loving hypocrite who owes much of his life to the government, while building most of his policy stances around the idea that government is bad. I guess the hypocrite didn’t share that feeling when he saved up Social Security benefits he was given after his father’s unfortunate passing when he was a minor to help him pay for his college education — at a public university. Nearly every policy Ryan supports benefits the rich, while attacking the poor and middle class. A lowlife who has a clear disdain for the poorest among us, Paul Ryan is easily one of the most revolting people in Washington.
2. Mitch McConnell: How this guy keeps getting elected is mind-boggling. Possibly one of the weakest “leaders” I’ve ever seen, McConnell seems to be loathed by both Republicans and Democrats. There are plenty of incompetent Republicans in Congress, but I’m not sure if we’ve ever seen a more ineffective “leader” than McConnell. He’s nothing but a spineless lackey who seems to stand for nothing other than “what do I need to say or do to keep getting elected while blaming everyone else for my inability to get anything done.” Much like Ryan, it’s clear McConnell realizes Trump’s unfit for office, but he’s far too much of a wimp to stand up to our country’s national embarrassment.
3. Steve King: This scumbag might be the most racist member in all of Congress. A reprehensible human being who seems to lack even a shred of humanity or decency, he recently said following Trump’s ending of DACA that DREAMers could choose to “live in the shadows,” accusing them of being criminals who came here knowing they were breaking our laws — even though DREAMers were brought to this country illegally as children by their parents. Yet in King’s mind, apparently even a 5-year-old crossing our border with their parents is a “criminal.” Let’s also not forget that this is also the same guy who said that “culture and demographics are our destiny” and we can’t “restore our civilization with somebody else’s babies.” He also infamously once said that most illegal immigrants were “drug mules,” “hauling 75 pounds of marijuana across the desert” with “calves the size of cantaloupes.”
4. Ted Cruz: During last year’s GOP primary I constantly warned people that, while Trump was awful, the Republican just behind him in the polls, Senator Ted Cruz, was even worse. Ted Cruz is essentially everything terrible about Trump mixed with legitimate religious fanaticism. The senator from Texas is someone who’s such a dishonest snake that even many members of his own party can’t stand him. Yet despite how much I already loathed him, when he chose to tuck his tail between his legs and endorse a man who not only insulted his wife, but tried to slander his father, that’s when I realized how dark Cruz’s soul must be. It takes a special kind of revolting person to put your political ambitions ahead of defending your family.
5. Trey Gowdy: I wrestled with putting Devin Nunes here, but I gave the edge to Gowdy due to his years as one of the main Republicans who led the witch hunts against Hillary Clinton over Benghazi and her emails — who now has the gall to act as if he’s not really interested Trump’s growing list of associates who’ve been caught lying about contact with Russians during last year’s election. In fact, it wasn’t until we found out about Trump Jr.’s meeting in July that we finally saw Gowdy express some frustration with this administration. However, up until that point, and even still today, it’s clear Gowdy, someone who spent years grandstanding to go after Clinton, has been trying to undermine the on-going investigations into whether or not Trump possibly colluded with Russia. In fact, Rep. Jim Himes (D-CT) recently accused Gowdy of trying to “delegitimize” evidence and the FBI, while also casting down on the integrity of Robert Mueller, in a blatant effort to taint their investigations into Trump and his associates.
While the first four people on this list were easy, filling that last spot was actually rather difficult. Not because there aren’t plenty of other names who could have taken the place of anyone on this list, such as Rep. Devin Nunes, Rep. Trent Franks, or Vice President Mike Pence, but because there were too many terrible Republicans from which to choose.
That’s why I cannot emphasize this enough, while it’s great so many people are calling out Donald Trump for his awful policies and actions, we cannot forget that he’s only one of many shameful, unethical, and corrupt Republicans trying to ruin this country and the values on which it was founded.
Latest posts by Allen Clifton (see all)
- To Those Blaming Democrats for the Government Shutdown: You’re Out of Your Damn Minds - January 21, 2018
- Not a Joke: GOP Rep. Tries to Blame Government Shutdown on Barack Obama (Video) - January 21, 2018
- 5 Things the Government Shutdown Proves About Donald Trump and the Republican Party - January 21, 2018