Despite what Donald Trump and his supporters might think, his time in office has been a disaster. In just a few short months, he’s turned the United States into a global laughingstock and proven time and time again that he has absolutely no idea what he’s doing or what he’s talking about.
The problem for Trump and his supporters is that reality is real regardless of whether or not they want to believe in it. He can lie as much as he wants, and they can deny reality until they’re blue in the face, but that’s not going to change what is true and what’s actually factual.
That’s why his supporters are ensuring that Trump goes down as possibly the worst “president” in United States history.
Since Trump’s supporters believe anything he tells them, no matter how absurd, while never holding him accountable for anything he says or does, he’s effectively able to get away with whatever he wants. Which means there’s absolutely no incentive for him to be honest or realistic about what he can or can’t accomplish. He takes credit for accomplishments that aren’t his, while blaming everyone but himself when the lies he’s conned his supporters into believing don’t come true.
When he told his supporters that he was going to build a “big, beautiful wall” and Mexico was going to pay for it, anyone with even an ounce of common sense knew there was no way that was ever going to happen. Not only would his wall almost certainly never be built (at least not in the way he said it would), but he had absolutely no way to make Mexico pay for it.
Yet despite that blatant lie, he keeps saying it, and his supporters keep believing it.
When Trump said he was going to “repeal and replace Obamacare” with a health care law that would provide “cheaper, better insurance and cover more people,” most rational people knew he never had a plan to accomplish that.
Since then we’ve seen firsthand that not only did he never have any sort of a health care plan in the first place, but his leadership is so ineffective — even with his party in full control of Congress — that he couldn’t muster enough votes to get a “skinny repeal” passed.
Of course, Trump’s supporters don’t blame him for his failures or lies — it’s everyone else’s fault.
Democrats! The media! The establishment! The deep state working against him!
His tax plan, which is likely doomed to fail because the numbers he’s literally just making up to sell it aren’t based on any sort of reality, will be the next giant hissy fit he throws. Then just like clockwork, he’ll blame everyone but himself for his failures, while his supporters line up right behind him to do the same.
The lies, exaggerations, and conspiracies Trump tells are never going to stop — because they don’t have to.
If his supporters actually cared about facts, then things could be different. They might actually be able to force him to support legislation that stood a chance at getting passed. He might actually “shape up” (at least some) as “president” because he’d have no other choice. He’d either be forced to change or the support for him would become so anemic that there wouldn’t be any point for him to keep trying to sell outrageous lies, exaggerations, and conspiracies.
Unfortunately, that’s not going to happen.
It’s abundantly clear that the vast majority of Trump’s supporters are never going to hold him accountable. They’re going to continue believing any lie that he tells them, blaming everyone else but him for his failures, and he’s never going to change how he behaves because they don’t think that there’s anything wrong with it.
Yet history isn’t going to care about what Trump or his supporters want to be real, it’s simply going to look back on what was real.
Future generations will understand that this country once “elected” a “president” who:
- Got a lot of help from a sophisticated Russian cyber attack and social media “false amplification” campaign.
- Lost to his opponent by 3 million votes, then proceeded to claim that “millions of people voted illegally” without a shred of proof.
- Accused his predecessor of illegally wiretapping him — again, without any proof.
- Spent most of his mornings lashing out at the media and various people on Twitter like a petulant child with emotional issues.
- Used childish, petty names when referring to other world leaders or elected lawmakers.
- Was unable to fulfill any of his campaign promises because he never really had a plan to accomplish any of them.
- When he couldn’t get his way on health care, then proceeded to sabotage the law, hurting millions of people in the process.
- Was a global embarrassment the rest of the world is laughing at.
- Disgraced the dignity of the presidency nearly every single day.
- Ran one of the most chaotic and incompetent administrations in U.S. history.
- When people were starving and dying in Puerto Rico, he spent much of his time criticizing the island, attacking some of its elected officials, and whining about NFL players kneeling during the National Anthem.
- Pushed the country closer toward nuclear war than we’ve been in decades.
- Repeatedly made statements about our government, the economy, or international issues that highlight the fact that he didn’t know what the heck he’s talking about.
- Governed with a clear disdain for our First Amendment.
- Repeatedly tried to undermine U.S. intelligence agencies while defending a serial-killing tyrant who attacked the country.
- Denied the reality of climate change even as historic hurricanes ravaged two of the country’s largest states and one of its territories.
- Seemed to base most of his decisions on simply doing the opposite of what his predecessor supported.
- Was mocked by other world leaders who knew he was an imbecile who was completely unfit for office.
The list goes on and on.
When all is said and done, Donald Trump could very likely go down as the worst “president” in history, not just because he was completely unqualified for the job, but because he was supported by millions of people who never held him accountable for anything.
Latest posts by Allen Clifton (see all)
- Tapper Lays Out a Key Argument for Why Many Believe Trump’s Being Blackmailed by Russia (Video) - March 22, 2018
- GOP Senator Hammers Trump for Making the U.S. Look Weak with Call to Congratulate Putin (Video) - March 21, 2018
- Former RNC Chair Rips GOP for Not Publicly Condemning Trump’s Love of Russia (Video) - March 21, 2018