Conservatives love to proclaim themselves “pro-life” because they oppose abortion, “Christians” because some of them go to church, or “Constitutional patriots” because of their fanatical view on the Second Amendment, but most of them aren’t actually any of those things.
You see, I’m a proud pro-life, Constitutional patriot and Christian — which is exactly why I’m a progressive.
To me “pro-life” isn’t about abortion. I’m “pro-life” in that I support:
- Programs that help feed the poor.
- Helping refugees fleeing for their lives from certain death.
- Making health care a human right, not a profit margin.
- Expanding programs like Social Security that help the elderly.
- Using war as a last resort after all other options have been exhausted.
- Love, hope, and compassion — not hate, fear, and intolerance.
- An economy built on helping the poor and middle class, not giving more tax breaks to the richest among us.
- Making education something everyone can obtain, not just those who can afford it.
- Common sense immigration reform to deal with people who came to this country desperately trying to make a better life for themselves and their families.
- Policies that put humans before profits.
- Common sense gun reforms aimed at reducing our out-of-control gun violence epidemic.
- Combating climate change to protect life on the entire planet.
That’s what true “pro-lifers” are. They’re not people who brag about the death penalty, oppose gun regulations, seem eager to jump into war, vilify the poor, support for-profit health care, and worship greed before humanity.
Being “pro-life” doesn’t have a damn thing to do with abortion, regardless of what right-wing hypocrites would have people believe. Millions of people in our country claim to care about life while supporting a political party that clearly doesn’t.
Speaking of abortion, that’s a Constitutional right granted to women via our Supreme Court — a right Republicans constantly seek to infringe upon. Nothing like saying you honor and respect the Constitution, while constantly trying to violate a Supreme Court ruling by unconstitutionally trying to violate the First Amendment rights of every woman in this country by forcing your religious views on them.
And don’t even get me started on the conservative support for Donald Trump, someone who clearly has a strong disdain for our First Amendment, our entire Third Branch of government, and those “so-called” federal judges who do silly things like, you know, follow the Constitution.
Speaking of Trump, as I’ve written about before, you cannot support this vile human being while calling yourself a Christian. In fact, I don’t consider most conservatives actual Christians at all. Whether or not you believe in Jesus Christ, it’s undeniable that the values for which he represents are a complete contradiction to those pushed by the GOP. A man who preached love, hope, acceptance, giving, compassion, peace, and forgiveness would not support a gun-loving party that vilifies minorities and Muslims, while pushing fear, hate, and anger to keep their supporters paranoid and obedient.
I’m not saying Jesus Christ would be a Democrat, but I damn sure know he wouldn’t be a Republican.
Even as far as patriotism goes, progressives are much more patriotic and Constitutional. It’s progressives who are on the right side of history — not conservatives. As our history proves, southern conservatives are always the people standing in the way of Constitutionally supported progress and rights.
If you take a map of the former states that comprised the Confederacy, then fast-forward to today, nearly every single one of them is “strongly Republican.” They were also many of the same states that:
- Supported slavery.
- Opposed women’s suffrage.
- Supported segregation.
- Fought against the Civil Rights and Voting Rights Acts.
- Defended bans on interracial marriage.
- Oppose abortion.
- Fought longest against ending bans on same-sex marriage.
The list goes on and on. If you take these former Confederate (now “strongly Republican”) states and go throughout each and every key moment in our nation’s history, they’re almost always on the losing (aka wrong) side of it.
And don’t give me the “Democrats were the racists” counter. As I’ve also written about before, anyone trying to make that argument is blatantly ignoring the historical facts that show the ideologies of the two parties switched, mainly during the 1950’s and 60’s.
These are also many of the places that most enthusiastically support Donald Trump. A so-called “president” who:
- Mocked POWs.
- Lied about how much money he raised for veterans.
- Attacked Gold Star parents of a fallen American hero.
- Skipped intelligence briefings in the weeks prior to ordering a raid where a Navy SEAL lost his life.
- Defends and praises an enemy that attacked us.
- Has repeatedly bashed and tried to undermine U.S. intelligence agencies and the spies who risk their lives protecting this country.
- Spent most of his time standing in front of a CIA monument honoring people who’ve died in the line of duty talking about himself, attacking the media, and pushing conspiracies about illegal voting.
- During an interview with Bill O’Reilly equated the values of the United States with the brutal, serial-killing Russian tyrant Vladimir Putin.
- Would rather bash our own intelligence officials, media, spies, and country before he would say anything negative about the Russian government.
Much like I feel about being a Christian and supporting Trump, there’s no way you can call yourself a proud, patriotic American while supporting this orange, treasonous wannabe dictator.
It’s those of us who are fighting every day against our nation’s first authoritarian tyrant who spends most of his time trying to tear down the United States who are the real patriots, not the brainwashed sheep defending and supporting him.
To me, being a “pro-life, Christian, Constitutional patriot” is about actually supporting life; living a life based on actual Christian values as taught by Jesus Christ; and defending the Constitution while protecting this country from all enemies, both foreign and domestic.
That’s exactly why I’m a progressive. There’s almost nothing pro-life, Constitutional, patriotic, or Christian about the Republican Party.
Latest posts by Allen Clifton (see all)
- Tapper Lays Out a Key Argument for Why Many Believe Trump’s Being Blackmailed by Russia (Video) - March 22, 2018
- GOP Senator Hammers Trump for Making the U.S. Look Weak with Call to Congratulate Putin (Video) - March 21, 2018
- Former RNC Chair Rips GOP for Not Publicly Condemning Trump’s Love of Russia (Video) - March 21, 2018