Some days as a liberal I sit back and wonder to myself, “Wouldn’t life be a lot simpler if I were a conservative?” Now I know the response from many who read that will be along the lines of, “Hell no!” And I don’t really mean that I wish I were a conservative. But, jeez, being a liberal requires a lot of hard work.
Liberals have to do things like:
- Understand science.
- Realize that our resources aren’t unlimited and we have to take better care of our planet.
- Care about the feelings of others.
- Actually know about factual history, not legend.
- Think critically.
- Come up with original thoughts.
- Know math.
- Worry about the sick, elderly, needy and poor.
- Figure out how to give every American health care.
- Logically deal with our immigration problem.
- Solve problems with diplomacy, not violence.
- Try to prevent greed from destroying this country.
- Fight for equal rights for all Americans.
- Think about people other than ourselves when making a decision.
- Use big picture thinking when supporting policies.
- Doubt a lot of the media that’s supposedly “liberally biased.”
- Deal with a diverse group of liberals who are all very different from one another.
The list could just go on and on. As I said, being a liberal requires a lot of hard work.
The same can’t be said for most conservatives. They:
- Don’t need to understand science, they just say “God did it.”
- Have no need to worry about climate change, God’s in charge of that too.
- Only care about themselves or people just like them.
- Believe any historical legend they’re told as long as it supports conservative ideology.
- Don’t think education is that important.
- Believe the sick, elderly, needy and poor should just leave them alone and fend for themselves.
- Don’t care about fixing our broken health care system.
- Just think we should build a wall between the U.S. and Mexico while deporting anyone who’s illegal – even if they’ve lived here since they were an infant.
- Think any problem internationally is simply solved by going to war with it.
- Believe that regulations aren’t necessary and capitalism will just “work itself all out.”
- Only care about equal rights for people who look just like they do.
- Believe that they should only think about their wants, desires and benefits when making decisions.
- Never try to use big picture thinking on – anything. If the results aren’t immediate, they’re just a liberal lie.
- Only trust Fox News and the people Fox News tells them they can trust. Anyone else is part of the “liberal media.”
- Typically only deal with people who’ve been spoon-fed the same propaganda from Fox News as they have, so they’re in agreement on just about every single issue.
Again, I could keep going on and on.
But to be a conservative must be so much simpler. Who cares about science, climate change, severe changes in the weather, protecting our future, educating our children, saving the planet – that’s all in God’s hands. It doesn’t matter what we think or do because it’s not within our power.
News? Heck, just turn on Fox News and that’s the “truth” right there I tell ya. You don’t even have to think for yourself, they’ll tell you what you should be outraged about.
Economics is easy. Just sit back, give the rich tax breaks, allow corporations to get away with whatever they want and everything will work out perfectly.
Because that’s really what their entire ideology breaks down to:
- For social issues: See God
- For economic issues: Unregulated capitalism
And that’s basically it. Neither of which require these people to think about anything one bit. Just let unregulated capitalism do its thing and let God take care of the rest.
But I’m glad I’m a liberal, because I don’t want to be like conservatives. I like thinking for myself; caring about others; thinking critically; trying to solve complex issues; helping the poor; trying to save the planet; and fighting for equal rights for all Americans.
And being a liberal might be a heck of a lot more work – but it’s sure as hell worth it.
Latest posts by Allen Clifton (see all)
- To Everyone Who Opposes Trump: Please Stop Asking This Question About His Supporters - October 23, 2017
- Trump Calls Sgt. Johnson’s Widow a Liar Within Minutes of Her Confirming He Disrespected Her Husband (Video) - October 23, 2017
- John Kelly Has Disgraced Himself, this Country and Our Military - October 21, 2017