Donald Trump did what he always does when his incompetence leads to something negative — blame other people — but it seems rather obvious that Bashar al Assad’s use of chemical weapons on Tuesday (after not using them since 2013) is linked to the Trump administration recently saying that removing him from power was no longer a goal or priority. It doesn’t help that Trump seems infatuated with Assad’s top ally, Vladimir Putin.
Heck, Russia’s already making excuses for the attack, blaming it on a leak from a “terrorist ammunition depot” that was hit by Syrian airstrikes.
Let’s follow this short timeline:
- The U.S. “elects” a Putin-loving candidate currently under investigation for potential treason involving colluding with Russia to undermine the 2016 election.
- Even with U.S. intelligence agencies pointing to Russia as the culprit behind the attack against this country, Trump defends Putin while lashing out at our own intelligence officials.
- As Trump continues to claim all these allegations linking him to Russia are “FAKE NEWS!” or a “hoax,” Russia denies they were behind any cyber attack, with the state-run media often appearing to be helping support Trump’s conspiracies.
- Within the last week, both Secretary of State Rex Tillerson and U.N. Ambassador Nikki Haley state that removing Assad from power in Syria is no longer a primary goal or objective of the White House.
- A few days later, less than three months into Trump’s administration (and for the first time since 2013), Assad uses chemical weapons on civilians, killing around 100, including 25 children.
- Assad denies using chemical weapons.
- Russia’s defense ministry spokesman Igor Konoshenkov denies Syria used chemical weapons, instead blaming it on a leak from a “terrorist ammunition depot” that was hit by airstrikes.
It doesn’t take a military strategist, or even someone with a great deal of common sense, to see that this is all linked.
But you don’t have to believe me, Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL) basically blamed the Trump administration for this attack during an interview with AM Tampa Bay Wednesday morning.
“In this case now, we have very limited options and look, it’s concerning that the secretary of state, 72 hours ago or a week ago, last Friday, said that the future’s up to the people in Syria on what happens with Assad. In essence almost nodding to the idea that Assad was gonna get to stay in some capacity,” Rubio said.
“I don’t think it’s a coincidence that a few days later we see this,” he added.
While Trump’s pathetically trying to blame this on the “weakness of the Obama administration,” Rubio couldn’t have been much more clear that he believes Assad’s use of chemical weapons is linked to the White House saying they weren’t concerned with removing him from power.
Obviously being a progressive, and someone who loathes Trump, I’m someone who many would consider “partisan” or “biased” in my assessment of how all of this went down. However, Trump and his supporters can’t say the same about Senator Rubio, a Republican who isn’t considered a moderate by any stretch of the imagination. His assessment is the exact same as mine and everyone else who believes that Trump’s weak stance on removing Assad as “president” of Syria empowered the monstrous dictator to use chemical weapons for the first time in nearly four years.
It’s like I’ve said well before Trump “won” back in November, one of my biggest fears isn’t simply the problems he’s going to cause on purpose, but also how many major issues his emotional instability, narcissism, and incompetence will cause by accident.
Watch Rubio expand on his comments below via AP: