Of all the things said during the 2016 election, easily one of the most absurd statements I heard some folks make (especially from the far-left) was their unwavering belief that, if elected, Hillary Clinton would be as bad, if not worse, than Donald Trump. The moment I heard anyone say that line, especially coming from a so-called “liberal,” I instantly knew they were being completely irrational.
These folks didn’t like her, so they sought out, and bought into, conspiracy after conspiracy trying to confirm their bias of what they wanted to believe as opposed to what was factual. Ironically, the same people who accused Clinton of being “no better than a Republican” were, in fact, acting just like conservatives when it came to believing preposterous lies and total nonsense about her.
As I’ve said plenty of times before, Clinton was far from a flawless candidate. She wasn’t even my first choice, but it was my personal opinion that she was a better overall candidate than Bernie Sanders. However, as I also stated numerous times throughout the primary, I felt Democrats had two good candidates. I simply preferred one over the other, but I’d happily fight and vote for whoever ultimately won.
Unfortunately, too many people bought into the conspiracy that the “primary was rigged.” Even though indisputable mathematics and statistics prove that the reason Clinton defeated Sanders wasn’t because anything was “rigged” — it was because she overwhelmingly won the minority vote in practically every state. Sanders did great with white voters, and in states with smaller minority populations, but did very poorly in far more diverse states, especially those with higher African American populations.
So these individuals can keep believing the primary was rigged all they want, but that’s about as factually accurate as Trump supporters believing “millions of people voted illegally.”
But even if someone wants to keep buying into the notion that the primary was rigged, to believe Clinton would have been as bad, if not worse, than Trump is still completely preposterous. We’re talking about a person who was ranked the 11th most liberal senator during her eight years in the Senate and voted with Sanders 93 percent of the time when they served together. Even on her “least progressive” day she’s a radical hippie liberal compared to someone like Trump and the rest of the Republican Party.
But for the sake of argument, let’s run through a few things that Trump has done, or supports, that Clinton damn sure wouldn’t have:
- Been the focus of an on-going FBI investigation into whether or not she committed treason during last year’s election.
- Lashed out at U.S. intelligence officials for pointing out Russia as the culprit behind the cyber attack against us.
- Accused Barack Obama of illegally wiretapping her without a shred of evidence to back it up.
- Repeatedly lied about the size of her inauguration crowd.
- Scolded the U.N., prompting many of our allies to question whether or not the U.S. can be trusted.
- Fired the head of the FBI for not giving into her attempts to obstruct justice into an active investigation into her campaign.
- Endlessly whined about the “FAKE” media any time a negative story comes out about her.
- Supported a health care bill that will strip insurance away from 23 million people, gut Medicaid, drastically raise premiums on Americans 50 and older, while eliminating the protections for people with pre-existing conditions.
- Pulled the United States out of the Paris climate agreement.
- Appointed a climate change-denying person who’s spoken out against the EPA — to run the EPA.
- Proposed a budget that guts $1 trillion from Medicaid and food stamps.
- Publicly threatened the former head of the FBI on Twitter just days after firing him.
- Removed any mention of climate change from the White House website.
- Removed the LGBT questions from the 2020 census.
- Threatened to break up the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals because they ruled against one of her executive orders.
- Signed two executive orders banning people from several Muslim countries from entering the United States.
- Continued to refuse to release her tax returns.
- Pushes us to the brink of nuclear war with North Korea.
- Needed the president of China to explain to her why the situation with North Korea is so complex.
- Said she didn’t realize being president was harder than being a CEO.
- Defended a Fox News host against claims of sexual harassment by several women — just days before he was fired for sexually harassing women.
- Allowed state-run Russian media into the Oval Office during the same meeting where she divulged highly-classified information to Russian officials.
- Massively cut funding for Meals on Wheels.
- Declared the American media the “enemy of the American people” on Twitter.
- Spent nearly half of her weekends in office traveling to a Florida resort to play golf.
- Bragged to the president of the Philippines about two nuclear subs secretly being off the coast of North Korea.
- In the middle of a call with Vladimir Putin, allegedly had to put the phone aside to ask people around her what the New START treaty was.
- Told the president of Mexico they have a “bunch of bad hombres down there.”
- Spoke about Frederick Douglass as if he were still alive.
- Claimed, without a shred of evidence, that “millions of people voted illegally” during last year’s election.
- Declared her support for opening up federal lands for oil drilling.
- Publicly stated that she supported creating a new nuclear arms race.
- Filled her cabinet with mostly white male billionaires, many of whom have ties to Wall Street and the infamous Goldman Sachs.
- Stood in front of a CIA monument to fallen agents and bragged about the size of her inauguration crowd while attacking the media.
- Pushed Congress to waste billions of taxpayer dollars to build a wall on the Mexico border.
- Blocked refugees from entering the United States.
- Completely oppose raising the minimum wage.
- Bragged about Australia, a country that has universal health care, having better health care than we do — while supporting legislation that’s the complete opposite of what Australia has.
- Forced many of our most loyal allies to question whether or not she’s compromised by the Russian government.
- Had reports surface where other world leaders were preparing for her first international trip much in the same way they might prepare for a child with a short attention span and a bad temper.
- Completely oppose making college education more affordable for Americans.
- Signed an executive order to rollback regulations on Wall Street.
- Proposed a budget that drastically cuts taxes for the rich, while gutting money from programs that help middle class and poor Americans.
- Appointed a radical conservative Supreme Court justice.
- Ordered the Department of Homeland Security to put out weekly reports detailing violent crimes committed by illegal immigrants.
- Spent much of her time trying to rollback and eliminate anything President Obama did during his eight years.
- Been a daily national embarrassment the rest of the world is laughing at because of how unhinged and incompetent she is.
The list goes on and on.
I don’t care what anyone thinks about Clinton, on her absolute worst day, she’s a million times better than Trump.
Hillary Clinton might have not been the most progressive candidate Democrats could have nominated, but she wouldn’t have spent most of her time in office rolling back decades worth of progress we’ve made, while also advocating for policies that are the antithesis of what the vast majority of progressives should support.
I’m not saying (and I never did claim) she would have been able to push through massive changes for health care, climate change, immigration reform, LGBT rights, Wall Street regulations, or women’s rights — at least not as long as Republicans controlled Congress — but she damn sure wouldn’t be doing everything she could to destroy the progress we’ve made on all of those issues.
So, yes, I have absolutely no patience left for anybody who subscribed to this belief that Clinton would have been as bad as Trump. Especially now that he’s spending every day in office proving how incredibly wrong and naive those folks were to think that.
Latest posts by Allen Clifton (see all)
- Here are Some Numbers That Will Send Trump and His Hardcore Supporters into a Rage Spiral - December 15, 2017
- CNN’s Chris Cuomo Embarrasses Republican Congressman Trying to Slander Robert Mueller (Video) - December 15, 2017
- 10 Stats and Facts You Can Use to Educate (or Infuriate) Trumpsters - December 15, 2017