In all my time following politics, I’ve never dealt with anything like supporters of Donald Trump. These are folks who seem to live in a version of reality that only exists in their own minds. It’s why I’ve said Trump is more of a cult leader than any sort of political figure.
For proof of this look no further than a new poll put out by Public Policy Polling that painted a rather embarrassing picture of how ignorant the majority of Trump supporters are.
Here are some of the results. Out of the Trump supporters surveyed, only:
- 47% know Frederick Douglass is dead.
- 45% have a “favorable” view of Black History Month, while 35% have an “unfavorable” view.
- 46% think there should be a White History Month.
- 51% agree with the “Bowling Green Massacre” comments from Kellyanne Conway — 25% weren’t sure.
- 51% believe he should have the power to overturn decisions by judges he disagrees with.
- 18% support a law requiring a presidential candidate to disclose at least 5-years worth of tax returns.
- 22% think he should release his tax returns.
- 48% have an “unfavorable” view of Russia.
- 64% support a 20% tax on items imported from Mexico.
- 55% think “millions” voted illegally during the election.
- 19% view Putin as “favorable” — 18% higher than his supporters who view Hillary Clinton as “favorable.”
That is an astonishing list of unbelievable ignorance. I’ll just start with the first one and work my way down.
It’s a sad state of affairs when basically half of Trump voters aren’t aware that Frederick Douglass is dead, considering he died in 1895. Furthermore, more than 1 out of 3 have a negative view of Black History Month — while nearly half think we should have White History Month. Please, tell me more about how racism isn’t an issue within the Republican Party.
Half of those who voted for him actually believe the non-existent “Bowling Green Massacre” happened. Nothing like half the people who voted for you believing in fictitious terrorist attacks, while claiming that legitimate news is “fake” because they don’t like hearing the truth.
Apparently half of his supporters also believe that he should have the right to unconstitutionally overrule the Third Branch of our government by overruling judicial rulings he disagrees with. You know, like a dictator. It’s hilarious these people claim to be all about the Constitution when they don’t seem to know much of anything about it.
And something definitely tells me that the 82% of his supporters that don’t support a law requiring presidential candidates to disclose their tax returns would feel much different about that issue if Hillary Clinton had been elected without showing her returns.
It’s also rather sickening that only about half of his supporters have a negative view of a country that attacked us, led by a serial-killing tyrant who hates Americans. Then again, they support Trump, so a guy like Putin seems right up their ally.
I also find it rather hilarious how 64% of the people who support him are in favor of a 20% tax on all imports from Mexico — which is basically nothing more than a 20% tax hike on all Americans. Though I get the feeling that when most of the folks said they favor this, they really didn’t understand that they were supporting a massive tax hike on practically everyone in this country.
Then there’s the 55% of his supporters who think “millions” of people voted illegally — even though there’s not a single shred of evidence to support that. Like Trump, they apparently don’t understand that if this conspiracy is true, the results aren’t valid in the election Trump won due to unprecedented voter corruption. It’s also important to point out that if this were actually true, it would have required the coordination of thousands of people all over the country, within both parties, in the most massive coverup in this nation’s history. Plus there’s always the fact that if this were true, Trump and congressional Republicans doing nothing about it would probably be the second biggest scandal in our country’s history.
Just think about that. For “millions” of people to have voted illegally would have involved a 50-state conspiracy involving thousands of people within both parties — at all levels of government — yet Trump and congressional Republicans aren’t looking into this? That would be a huge deal — if it were actually true.
And last, but not least, these bottom-feeders who view someone like Putin as more “favorable” than Clinton, proving how absolutely stupid millions of them are.
This is a jaw-dropping list of ignorance from Trump voters. Not only do they seem to not know the truth about factual information, most of his supporters believe whatever drivel he tells them, without a shred of evidence to back up any of it.
Going beyond showcasing the ignorance of his supporters, this poll also had some other bad news for Trump:
- 53% disapprove of the job he’s doing.
- 53% trust judges more to make the right decisions for the country, while only 38% trust him to.
- 58% say he should release his tax returns.
- 62% think he should fully divest from his businesses.
- 52% said the New York Times has more credibility, while only 37% think he does.
- 50% said Saturday Night Live has more credibility, while only 38% think he does.
- 56% oppose building a wall between the U.S. and Mexico if taxpayers have to pay for it upfront.
Oh, and numbers that I’m sure will drive him even more insane, he lost to both Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton when people were asked who they’d rather have as president:
- Obama 52% Trump 44%
- Clinton 49% Trump 45%
Though I’m sure as with everything else negative about him, he’ll yell “FAKE!” and his mindless sheep will blindly believe anything he says.
But that reminds me of one of my favorite sayings, and something I’ve said to many Trump supporters: The great thing about reality is that it’s real whether or not you want to believe it.