While individuals such as Shep Smith and Chris Wallace are usually fairly good at holding Republicans accountable or calling them out on some of their b.s., that can’t be said for the vast majority of the on-air talent at Fox News. Like many people, I don’t even consider it a “news” network. While Fox News does have brief moments of legitimate news coverage, the vast majority of what they broadcast is nothing more than conservative entertainment and ridiculous commentary disguised as a “news network.”
Without a doubt, one of the shows that panders to right-wing idiocy the most is the network’s morning show, Fox & Friends. To understand how ridiculous this show is, all you really need to know is that it’s apparently Donald Trump’s go-to morning show and his muse, if you will, for many of his most absurd Twitter temper tantrums.
Fox & Friends is the show where now indefinitely suspended Fox News Senior Legal Analyst Andrew Napolitano claimed he had “three sources” tell him that President Obama worked with British intelligence to wiretap Trump Tower. A claim the network has since confirmed they have no evidence to back up, and our intelligence agencies, along with officials from the British government, have said is completely absurd.
Fox & Friends is almost always a joke, but a tweet they sent out Tuesday morning was absolutely insane:
If you missed yesterday's congressional hearing with FBI Dir. James Comey, you didn't miss much… pic.twitter.com/AnJdtWcGxK
— FOX & friends (@foxandfriends) March 21, 2017
When I saw that, my jaw dropped.
Here are a few of things we officially learned on Monday:
- Russia’s cyber attack against the United States was specifically designed to undermine our democracy, hurt Hillary Clinton, and aide Donald Trump.
- There are on-going investigations, dating back months, into whether or not Trump could have possibly committed treason.
- While there is no timetable for these investigations, by all accounts, they’re not wrapping up any time soon.
- There’s absolutely zero evidence that President Obama ordered any “wiretapping” of Trump Tower.
- Despite not a single shred of evidence, Trump continues to push baseless lies about wiretapping.
- Republicans are clearly worried about what might be discovered during these investigations as many used Comey’s appearance before Congress to focus on the leaks, rather than the fact our current president could have very well committed treason.
Even if all we learned Monday was the official confirmation from the director of the FBI that the current President of the United States is under investigation for potential collusion with the Russian government behind the cyber attack against the 2016 election — aka possible treason — that’s damn sure something of extreme significance that occurred on Monday.
Aside from possibly being Trump’s worse day in office, the hypocrisy of a network that often painted the FBI’s investigation of Clinton as one of the biggest scandals in U.S. history trying to downplay the incredible significance of what we learned on Monday is disgusting.
This goes to show you how Republicans get away with the lies that they do. Since millions of conservatives have been brainwashed into thinking that Fox News is truly “fair and balanced,” while any and all other sources are “liberally biased,” these folks have wrapped themselves up inside of this bubble where the truth is rarely told.
So while rational and factually-informed human beings are being told the truth about what happened on Monday, the conservatives who only trust networks like Fox News, or shows like Fox & Friends, are quite literally being told a version of reality that doesn’t actually exist.