Admittedly, I still get lured into the trap of trying to “understand Donald Trump supporters.” While I do my best to avoid breaking my rule of not trying to reason with people who are unreasonable, my never-ending desire to live in a world dominated by facts and reality still gets the best of me from time to time.
It’s still baffling when I think about how many people walking among us live in a version of reality that simply doesn’t exist.
That’s why I’ve said on numerous occasions that I view Trump’s following as more of a cult-like organization than a group of people who back a politician. We’re talking about tens of millions of people who never… ever hold him accountable for anything he says or does. If he lies, they make excuses for him. When he does something that he’s attacked others for doing, they claim that he’s not a hypocrite. When he breaks a campaign promise, it’s always everyone else’s fault, never his.
As long as Trump’s never held accountable by the people who support him, that gives him a terrifying amount of power to get away with damn near anything. He can attack the media, other politicians, his own party — practically anyone and anything — because the vast majority of his of supporters will always take his side.
Then again, nothing about anything we’re seeing should surprise us. Long before he was sworn into office, Trump’s legions of followers proved that there’s really no “bottom” when it comes to how low they’ll stoop to defend him. No matter how vile, deplorable, dishonest, unethical, or disgusting he behaves — nothing matters to them.
We shouldn’t be surprised that people who voted for a man who belittled POWs; mocked a man with disabilities; attacked Gold Star parents; pushed a blatantly racist conspiracy against Barack Obama; went on Twitter at 3 a.m. to tell his followers to look up the non-existent sex tape of a former Miss Universe; was caught on video bragging about being a sexual predator and trying to cheat on his current wife; refused to release his tax returns; attacked the looks of a GOP presidential opponent’s wife; talked about the size of his penis during a Republican presidential debate; and invited several mistresses of the husband of his opponent to a presidential debate, don’t hold him accountable for a damn thing he says or does after being sworn in to office.
At this point, the better question should be: What despicable level would Donald Trump have to stoop to for most of his supporters to finally realize what an awful, pathologically-lying human being he is?
Even after being sworn in most of his supporters have ignored:
- The mounting list of evidence that his campaign colluded with the Russian government.
- The fact he’s currently under investigation by the FBI.
- He pushed a ridiculous conspiracy about “millions” of illegal voters because he couldn’t stand that Hillary Clinton received 3 million more votes than he did.
- Claimed his inauguration crowd was the largest in history despite indisputable photographic evidence that it wasn’t even close to being that.
- Attacked U.S. intelligence agencies, while defending Russia, after they publicly said Vladimir Putin was behind the hacks on the DNC and Hillary Clinton’s campaign.
- Told Fox News’ Bill O’Reilly that the values of the United States are basically on par with that of a serial-killing Russian tyrant.
- Still won’t release his tax returns.
- Had his top national security pick resign after it was revealed he lied about what he discussed with Russian officials on the day President Obama issued sanctions against Russia.
- His attorney general being caught lying under oath to Congress about meetings with Russian officials during the campaign.
- The fact he continues to refuse to admit that he was wrong when he publicly accused President Obama of illegally wiretapping Trump Tower.
- He lied about making Mexico pay for the border wall.
- He lied about prosecuting Hillary Clinton.
- He lied about having a plan to defeat ISIS in 30-days.
- He lied about having a health care plan that would provide better, cheaper coverage to more Americans.
- The fact that he’s on a pace to cost taxpayers $665 million in four years on “extracurricular” activities like golfing trips and protection for his family when we only spent $97 million on the same type of expenses during Obama’s eight years in office.
- That he still refuses to say anything negative about Russia or Putin despite the evidence that they were behind the cyber attack against the 2016 election.
To the vast majority of Trump’s supporters, none of that changes their view of him.
What blows my mind the most about all of this is the fact that I can guarantee you if someone like Barack Obama or Hillary Clinton had done even a fraction of the things Trump has, his supporters would be losing their damn minds right now. The hypocrisy displayed by these folks is so absurd it’s nauseating.
Can you imagine if Hillary Clinton was elected president with help from a Russian cyber attack, while she refused to release her tax returns, all while being under an FBI investigation for possibly committing treason? All hell would be breaking loose right about now. I truly do believe there would be riots in the streets and a huge push to have her impeached already underway.
But all of this is why the behavior of Trump supporters doesn’t shock me. If there’s one thing they’ve proven time and time again, it’s that there’s really no level to which they will not stoop to defend Donald Trump.
Latest posts by Allen Clifton (see all)
- The Debate Over Whether Trump Is a Racist is Over (Video) - January 18, 2018
- The Simple Truth: Republicans Are Upset Trump’s Exposing Them for How Truly Awful They Are - January 18, 2018
- GOP Strategist Spells Out Why Robert Mueller Subpoenaing Bannon Should Terrify Trump - January 17, 2018