For me, there’s never really been a rational excuse for why anyone could think Donald Trump should be our next president. Sure, if someone is a bigot, racist, hates Muslims, is sexist or just an overall vile person who thinks the nation should be led by an egotistical, authoritarian-like dictator who pushes rhetoric taken straight from the “White Nationalist Playbook,” I absolutely get why they would want someone like Trump as president.
Despite everything he’s said and done throughout his campaign that would have disqualified every other presidential candidate, there are still millions of Americans who proudly support him. However, at this point, if you still do — you’ve cemented your place in one of the most shameful moments in U.S. history.
Don’t get me wrong, not all Republicans are equally embarrassing — there are some who are definitely worse than others.
That being said, I thought I’d list my “Top 5” most pathetically sad Republicans who are still supporting Donald Trump.
5. Mitch McConnell: This is someone who’s gone out of his way to avoid praising Donald Trump, if not flat-out refusing to even discuss him. It’s clear Senator McConnell knows that Trump is a disaster and has no business being our nation’s president. Hell, a few weeks ago he wouldn’t even answer reporters asking him if he thought Trump was qualified to be president — yet he’s still supporting him on November 8th.
4. Reince Priebus: Talk about a spineless weasel. Here’s someone who clearly tried to concoct a plan to keep Trump from winning the GOP nomination by having Ted Cruz and John Kasich work together toward the end of the primary in a failed attempt to try to keep him from getting enough delegates. This is also someone who’s repeatedly condemned various things Trump has said during his campaign.
Yet, despite it all, when the chairman of the RNC could have taken a stand for the party, he’s been publicly threatening the political careers of Republicans who have refused to endorse the most dangerous presidential candidate in modern U.S. history.
3. Paul Ryan: Here’s someone who’s more or less told people he’s not going to defend Trump anymore, and apparently told other Republicans they don’t have to, either — but yet he’s too gutless to just come out publicly and say he can no longer endorse Trump’s candidacy.
Because he’s absolutely terrified of what that might do for his own political ambitions to be president some day. He knows he’ll never be able to accomplish that without a lot of the very same people who are currently supporting Trump, so he’s been doing his best to walk a fine line between endorsing Trump — but also keeping his distance.
If it weren’t for the other two deplorable men ahead of him, Ryan’s lack of courage to take a stand against Trump’s bullshit would easily rank him #1 on this list.
2. Ted Cruz: Yeah, when you endorse a man who questioned your citizenship, basically called your wife ugly, clearly planted tabloid stories about you having an affair and spreads ridiculous conspiracies about your father being involved in JFK’s assassination — you’re absolutely pathetic.
While I could have never respected Cruz, because I think he’s just about as terrible as Trump, I would have at least given him credit for defending the dignity of his family ahead of his selfish political greed and ambitions.
Yet, all it took was a threat from the RNC chairman for Cruz to tuck his tail between his legs and start working that phone bank for the man who called his wife ugly.
Even though it’s obvious Cruz doesn’t think Trump has any business being president, he’s willing to sell this country out for the sake of his own career.
1. Mike Pence: Talk about the #1 enabler to Trump — it’s Pence. This is someone who goes out there and lies just about as often as Trump does, then has the nerve to evoke Jesus Christ to defend his candidate after a video was released where Trump basically admitted he enjoys sexually assaulting women? And the way Pence talks about Trump, it’s delusional. It’s hilarious to watch him describe Trump and the campaign in such a way that it seems as if he’s operating within some realm of reality that only he sees.
Like Cruz, Pence has put his own political ambitions ahead of everything else by selling his soul to defend a reprehensible bottom-feeder like Donald Trump. A candidate who claims his faith is what’s most important to him, backing a candidate who’s not remotely Christian.
There’s no way anyone can convince me that Pence truly believes Trump should be president. Then again, considering Pence is actually quite the low life himself, it really shouldn’t surprise anyone that he’s turned out to be nothing but a puppet for the sleazy creep.
How “Christian” of the Indiana governor.
Alright folks, there you have it, my list of the Top 5 most pathetic Republicans still supporting Trump. These five will join millions of other Americans in our history books as people we look back on with shame and humiliation for supporting one of the most dangerous candidates this country has ever seen.